Peri Peri ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ds7662

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2007
Richmond,VA
Anyone every used this spice?
I recieved the powder spice as well as the sauce as a gift and was wondering if anyone had used it before or even heard of it.

I tried a little of the sauce and man it is hot
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Just looked it up here what I found:
Piri piri

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For a similar variety of Capiscum frutescens found in Asia, see chilli padi.
African birdseye
250px-African_red_devil_peppers.jpg

African Devil
Scientific classificationKingdom:Plantae
Division:Magnoliophyta
Class:Magnoliopsida
Subclass:Asteridae
Order:Solanales
Family:Solanaceae
Genus:Capsicum
Species:Frutescens
Subspecies:C. f. cultivar African Devil
Trinomial nameCapsicum frutescens 'African Devil'
Chilli45.jpg

Heat: Very Hot (SR: 50,000-175,000)African birdseye (or African devil or African red devil) is a cultivar of the chili pepper that grows both wild and domesticated. It is a small and extremely spicy member of the capsicum plant genus.
The plants are usually very bushy and grow in height to 45-120 centimeters, with leaves of 4-7 cm length and 1.3-1.5 cm width. The fruits are generally tapered to a blunt point and measure up to 2.5 centimeters long. Immature pod color is green, mature color is bright red or purple.
Some varieties of birdseye measure up to 175,000 Scoville Heat Units

I was told by the person who gave the gift that it came from South Africa and of course it is marked Hot all over it.
at 175,000 on the scoville its right behind the habnero.
As I said I tried a little of the hot sauce and man its hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky