peppers for this year's taste buds

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by richoso1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I plated some habanero's on December 17th, and some NuMex Jalmundo jalapenos on December 24th. The growth rate is quite noticable. I'm hoping for some good heat on the taste buds this year.

[​IMG]

NuMex Jalmundo jalapenos look big even without 2nd set of leaves.I have 18 of these plants for this year.

The habaneros below now have 2nd sets of leaves, but the peppers all much smaller.The growth rate is slower, but the heat should be better.I have 4 good plants selected for this year

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Oh Boy Oh boy there Rich you are the pepper guru. Now I can't wait to see this years crop.

3. Very nice... I was planning on doing my first garden this year... that right there is good insperation!

4. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Damn, Rich!  A sure sign of spring.  It was 10° here this morning.  Looking forward to the garden pics.

5. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    what's the story on the jalmundo..........sounds interesting.

6. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

are those some of the seed I sent you?

the red habaneros are so hot  they make your eyes water looking at them

7. richoso1

You're spot on my friend. Here's hoping for a good year of peppers. It's all good my friend.

8. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WOW Im salavating just thinking of them!!!!!  [​IMG]

9. richoso1

Just for clarification, Larry (uncle jar) sent me some seeds. They were Orange habanero and Red Savina. I was luck to have both types germinate. The NuMex Jalmundo seeds (jalapeno), are from the NMSU Perpper Institute. Germination was a little better than 90%. Big thanks to Larry. It's all good my friend.

10. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looking good Rich, I better get some seeds started soon.

11. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good! I guess I'll be starting mine soon.

12. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

I'm with ya rich i can't wait till spring!! I have to use a greenhouse for all of our seeds,for the farm market we normally seed bout 400 flats with 128 seed pods in each flat.We seed all kinds of vegtables tomatoes,peppers,cabbage,eggplant,onions,watermelon,cantalope,cucumbers,green and yellow squash.We raise alot of differant things,it alot of work but i love it!!

13. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good Rich. Looks like I need to get some of the seeds you sent me started too. Dang I almost forgot about them too and they are sitting in the kitchen LOL

14. uncle_lar

those are goign to be some HOT peppers ! keep us posted on the pepper view Rich

15. papagreer

papagreer Meat Mopper

Hey Uncle,

Where do you get your seeds from? Are they your personal stash or do you buy seeds in bulk? 

Chris

16. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You are planting peppers and we are supposed to get snow and single digit temps this weekend and snow Monday and Tuesday...

17. richoso1

If it makes you feel any  better, my office has turned into a pepper cave. What the hey...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  18. uncle_lar

I got the pepper plants from my brother in law  and just seeded out a few peppers to save some of the seeds

most kinds of peppers are readily available around here from several local green houses.

I dont usually start my own any more like I used to, I just go to the green house and buy the plants