Some Like It Hot - Growing Hot Peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The smart ones only do it once, then again, I'm not always smart but I am forgetful at times
eek.gif

Sounds very familiar, only I rubbed my left eye after cutting a half pound of Japs for a huge pan of Taco Meat. That sucked when after 4 hours I still wanted a wet/cold wash cloth over the eye, but I did the bathroom thing right after the eyeball too. Funny now, but not then!!! Never did either one again.

That was about 25 years ago...and still counting.

There are many things that fit into the do-it-twice-if-I-like-it category, however, neither of the above is anything I want to experience more than once in my lifetime. LOL.

Great thread and really good replys as well. Enjoyed it.

Eric

Big GC got it from a farmer here. im drying it on the deck. that would be some winter food to help with rising costs of feed. not for me lol. these guys.

LOL..great tasting pop corn had come to my mind. that is a lot to feed. do you use the furs? sell them?

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT,...lol..make sure the wife is running the camera..that is a nice looking pepper..

Chile Pasado ~ Before the days of refrigeration, chile was preserved by drying. If
allowed to dry on their own chile turns from green to red. Many recipes call for "green" chile and after the growing season the
only way to get the green chile is canned or dried. The method here is to dry
roasted green chiles. The other method was to make Chile Cocido.

Chile Pasado translates to: Chile from the past, a method for drying roasted
green chile. Many places in Mexico still use this preservation method. Chile
Pasado bought in stores is very expensive.

Roasted Green Chile (with stems)

1. Roast chile. Carefully peel off skins leaving stem intact. Using a 12 inch
piece of twine, tie 3 to 5 chiles each at both ends.
2. Hang chiles over a line and allow to dry in the sun.

Do NOT allow to get wet. Drying time will vary with humidity. Chile will dry to a
very dark green color. To use in recipes, reconstitute in water. Use as you would
for most green chile recipes. Or this can be ground into a powder.

Chile Cocido ~ ( ko-see-tho ) ~ Before the days of refrigeration. Many recipes call for "green" chile and after the
growing season the only way to get the green chile is canned or dried. The
method here is to dry fresh green chiles. Green chiles are first blanched then
dried for storage. ~ Another method is Chile Pasado ~ ChileMasters

* Long green chile pods (fresh)

6 quarts boiling water for blanching
1 tbsp salt

* Only blanch 6 cups of cut chile pods at a time.

1. Cut in half lengthwise, remove seed ball and stem. Dip in boiling water for 3
minutes. Remove, drain, and allow to cool.

2. Place chile pieces on a clean surface in the sun until dried. Store in a cool dry
place.

3. Chile Cocido is re-constituted in water and used in many green chile recipes.

for any one growing their own this may help.

Green chili has a far differnt taste then red. I think it taste better myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky