Pepper seedlings - do they need heat ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After almost a week with my new LED lights and running some fans, I see an improvment in my plants. They definitely have thicker stalks. Doesn't appear that they will get leggy and it may be a couple more weeks before they go into the ground.

I started the Mixjoy at 100%, backed it off to 75% yesterday. I'm very happy with the coverage area, it is as advertised.

A lady I know who I consider a tomato expert , advises me to not try to grow indoors. She says the flavor is not there, and its more trouble than its worth. I trust her a lot. And flavor is why I do this.

My peppers are doing well on the bottom shelf. Those LED's have made that usuable space for the first time ever. And hey, thanks for the link to the Peppergeek YT channel and site. Very helpful. I'm probably 4 weeks away from the peppers going into the ground.

And I'm anxious to get started on my in-ground garden. Get my pickling cucumbers planted.

Reactions: LhornR
Curious your plants response from going to many hours of light to what mother nature provides while hardening then planting.
Basically annual plants are ver responsive to light time. When it shortens they go into fall shock.

I'm a tomato guy whose dabbled in growing peppers over the years, usually from plants bought at the nursery. I'm accustomed to tomatos fast growth from seed, compared to these peppers. Two years ago I attempted to grow peppers from seeds and it did not go well, at all.

In Southern Exposure Seed Exchange's growing guide , they say

For here in Oklahoma City, that would mean the last week of January. Our average last frost is April 7th. According to that schedule, I'm way behind with peppers.

But my experience growing pepper plants here, is that they won't really take off till it gets warmer. I have to wonder about going into the ground in mid April ?

This year, I did get wise on getting quicker germination with the heating mat, I had haberneros germinate in 5 days, with bell and jalapeno within 7 days.

Here's my current situation with my tomato and pepper seedlings , with the pepper plants just sprouting....................

View attachment 659703

View attachment 659701View attachment 659702
Here's pics from today, two weeks after the above , with the fans, and the " pepper farm " on the bottom shelf. Weather forecast looks like I'll be putting tomatoes in the ground in two weeks.

20230325_070340.jpg
20230325_070344.jpg
20230325_070405.jpg

Curious your plants response from going to many hours of light to what mother nature provides while hardening then planting.
Basically annual plants are ver responsive to light time. When it shortens they go into fall shock.

That would be difficult to gauge because there's other variables than hours of light.

Soil temps play a large role in how the plants react. Tomatoes need 60* plus or they just sit there and don't do much.

And weather plays into that, our average date of last freeze is April 7, but that's just an average. Our March has been much cooler than normal, IDK if that will extend into April. My early spring blooming perennials are running late this year, i.e. redbud, sand plum cherries, etc.

I turn the lights off at night, let the plants rest. I turn them on at about 5 am and they go off at 9 pm. So its not much longer than normal daylight now, which is about 7 am to 7 pm.

Nice looking starts.
My MN situation is different with average last frost around Mother's Day. I don't put any tender plants in the garden until Memorial Weekend. Been stung with some late May freezes (as in 28° or lower). I harden for 3-4 weeks as daytime temps allow.

Few years ago I was in a FB Hot pepper swapping group. I have seeds from all over the world. When I get back home I will take some pics of what I got.

Uggh... When I got my C reaper seeds, the instructions said not to germ in paper towels.. Different info from different sources can lead to confusion and frustration. I'm not against it by any means if it works.
I'm working with a biodome and heat mat from ParkSeed. I think I may have let it get to humid in there. My plants are quite leggy and reluctant to grow actual leaves.
This is only my third spring in SC so I am new to indoor starting / growing but I have had good harvests with bonnie plants in my raised garden. I'm hoping to do something like yours with containers on my patio so I can move them about to regulate sun / shade as needed.
This is what I started with..
View attachment 660216

I guess I should x-plant these into some soil now? It's just over 60 deg. in my garage right now.
Charlie Brown here.
I try every year to grow plants from seed and I just keep failing. I'm the Thomas Edison of gardening. Ironically, I did well in horticulture in high school on the land lab.
It's almost April and this is what I got..
20230325_135648.jpg

I guess I'll quit kidding myself and just stick with making meals from food that someone else grew and or raised.
I just hope that Carolina Reaper plant makes it. The new seedlings will be transplanted in a few days.

Charlie Brown here.
I try every year to grow plants from seed and I just keep failing. I'm the Thomas Edison of gardening. Ironically, I did well in horticulture in high school on the land lab.
It's almost April and this is what I got..
View attachment 661149

I guess I'll quit kidding myself and just stick with making meals from food that someone else grew and or raised.
I just hope that Carolina Reaper plant makes it. The new seedlings will be transplanted in a few days.

Getting pepper seed to germinate is the most difficult of everything I've grown. Even with a heat pad and cranking it up to 85 degrees.

Its a good thing I plant just a few.

Smokin Okie Smokin Okie ... That looks like a good start you have there with nice stems. Good to know the light is working well.

clifish clifish ... Like mentioned...the fans simulate nature. When plants get blown around it triggers them to build up extra cells around the stem to reinforce its survival.

pit 4 brains pit 4 brains ...have you tried planting in starter soil instead of those peat pots? I never had very good results using them and from what I have read I'm not alone. They just hold too much moisture and will mold in a heartbeat if you dont watch them close.

I got my butt in gear today and setup the table and leveled it for the seed house. Sill have to get the fans setup though. Seed testing is pretty much done so I can start germinating accordingly. I'm gonna shoot for the beginning of April to get the seeds in the dirt...which will be an adventure with 17 different varieties of peppers.

1679774161934.jpeg

Reactions: pit 4 brains
pit 4 brains pit 4 brains ...have you tried planting in starter soil instead of those peat pots? I never had very good results using them and from what I have read I'm not alone. They just hold too much moisture and will mold in a heartbeat if you dont watch them close.
No I have not. I have used the different brands of seed pots with little success. However, I tend to have recurring plants in my bed from last years peppers just falling into the soil.
I don't know if it's to late to try again here in SC, I'm in an 8B zone.
Should I Xplant my seedling ASAP into soil or let them develop real leaves?

I'm gonna fire up the smoker for some pastrami...

Thanks for all the info L LhornR ..:emoji_thumbsup:

No I have not. I have used the different brands of seed pots with little success. However, I tend to have recurring plants in my bed from last years peppers just falling into the soil.
I don't know if it's to late to try again here in SC, I'm in an 8B zone.
Should I Xplant my seedling ASAP into soil or let them develop real leaves?

I'm gonna fire up the smoker for some pastrami...

Thanks for all the info L LhornR ..:emoji_thumbsup:

Again..I'm no expert for sure but I would try to put them in potting soil and lots of light to get them healthier first. Then they will need to be hardened off before going outside...ie...outside at little increments at a time.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
That new light puts out some very intense light. I started getting leaf burn several days ago and cut it back to 75% , and still had to cut it back again to 50%. I started with the light 18" above the plants and they grew within 12".

But they're outside today and looking much better. They were out yesterday afternoon also. They're the perfect size for me. I will be putting them in the ground tomorrow. I got the garden tilled and made my raised rows today.

Our 7 day weather forecast doesn't show anything close to a freeze. We will surely get another freeze, but I'll just cover them up. Happens every year.

And my pepper plants are doing well and moved up under the Mixjoy light today . They will go in the ground in 2 or 3 weeks.

Raised Row1.jpg
Raised Row.jpg
Raised Row 3.jpg

Looking good on the prep

I'll be starting Datil peppers tomorrow to bring home in a month.
I have an east facing balcony so they get a bit of morning sunlight and blinds to reduce the intensity. Been nasty hot down here for the past 5 days with more coming.
Never raised them before. Wish me luck.

For me, jury is still out on the value of the fans. My plants are not as leggy, but I planted seed a week later than usual this year. So it will take another season for me. But other people I know who I value their opinion, say they help a lot.

I had some jalapeno seed I bought two years ago from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Had trouble with germination. Its been in my freezer for the past two years, I did not plant peppers last year. But since I had the seed, I planted 20 of them this year. I got germination with from 2 of the 20.

Tomatoes are in the ground. Peppers in 2 or 4 weeks. I see no need to rush the peppers as they will produce all summer. My tomato plants will be done by the first week of July.

Raised Row 5.jpg

Reactions: LhornR and dr k
Smokin Okie Smokin Okie ...Man I jealous..those plants are looking good and nice sturdy stems at that. And I'd love to have a plot like that to plant in...but I'm a renter in town so that wont happen. Even though my landlord would let me turn the back yard into a garden...if you did down 2" anywhere here you run into nothing but river rocks. Its hard to even drive stakes in for my hoops. My back and wallet cant do the importing soil for raised beds.

Question on your post #43...did the fans move the plants well having the fans sitting down at pot level? Another benefit of fans is the airflow keep fresh air moving and helps prevent "damping off". I actually had a case of it last year where the top of the soil started getting a mold on top so I had to hit it a few times with a hydrogen peroxide solution.

Fueling Around Fueling Around ...good luck and keep us posted with pics.

I started the first 6 varieties of seeds on 3/28...you know..the ones that took 12 days to germinate in my tests...and of course I had one seed already sprouted this morning so in the dirt it went. Started another 5 today and the rest will be started on 4/4. Still stormy and cold here. Its PA though..you can have the weather be all of the seasons within a day...70's in the day...30's in the evening...and snow in the night.

I thought the fans gave the plants enough " jiggle " . And I would turn the fans at least once during the day because they would not reach all sides of the planting tray.. I did not want too much shaking. I thought it was just right. But I did not experiment with fans from a higher angle. IDK how I would've supported the fans.

I thought the fans gave the plants enough " jiggle " . And I would turn the fans at least once during the day because they would not reach all sides of the planting tray.. I did not want too much shaking. I thought it was just right. But I did not experiment with fans from a higher angle. IDK how I would've supported the fans.

Gotcha. Yeah you basically want them to be moving like they would be outside in a breeze. As long as its not blowing the over 90° against the pot there good. I have mine on the same power strip as the lights...so when the lights are on so are the fans. At night everything shuts down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky