pellets vs chips ,Master built Sportsman Elite 30'' Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2009
Newalla,Oklahoma
Have a Master built Sportsman Elite 30'' Electric Smoker just wondering if any one has tried using pellets instead of wood chips ?

if so , how much did it use , how well did it smoke ???

Thanks in advance ?

I have had pretty good luck with the Traeger mesquite chips I started using a few weeks back.  They may not be the best brand to use, but they will last quite a while, compared to the 5 pound bag of wood chips I used before.

Not really designed for pellets really.  I haven't heard of many with great luck using pellets in the chip tray and then tend to burn quite quickly.

Best option it get either an AMNPS
my electric masterbuilt is a 1500 watt and does smoke just fine using chips or blocks , just want to try other things .

I do use the pellets in my charcoal grill to get that smoke and it works great . just like other smoker's I know ,  I have a ton of , bags full of wood chip's and blocks all over the place . not just for my electric but also my propane smoker and stick smoker.

I have minimal hands on experience, but in my case, w a 1500 Analog, pellets would overly smoke and burn out WAYYY  to quick in stock tray.

For extended correct amount of smoke, definately AMNPS, with pellets, ----  CORRECTLY---  placed in your machine.

NOT as close to the element as your stock factory tray.

Marc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky