Pellet smoker VS Bradley smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
thoughts and suggestions please. Although I love my stick burners, summer sausage is a pain to get consistent results with as temp is difficult to maintain at 190 or so.
I've looked at Bradley smokers for a while, but the newer generation of pellet smokers are mighty tempting.
I just fear that I will be disappointed with the smoke ring and the delicate smoke flavor I hear pellets create.

Any input appreciated

I went from a WSM to an electric MES and I'm currently using a RecTec 680 pellet smoker. The WSM produced excellent flavor but it was ultimately too much of a pain to use IMO. The MES had a lot of smoke flavor but it was an acrid smoke flavor that I didn't care for. The pellet smoker does not have overwhelming smoke flavor. I would call it a cleaner flavor, I don't belch up smoke the next day...

I think the smoke preference varies by person. I like the output from my pellet smoker. Some prefer to use a smoker tube for added smoke.

I get good flavor from 100% hickory pellets for most meat and I use a pecan/oak blend for brisket. Reverse seared ribeyes are fantastic. My smoke rings are very nice on the pellet smoker.

I can't help you on the Bradley. I've never tried food smoked on one.

Reactions: radio
The pellet smoker will give a smoke ring but generally light on smoke flavor, especially at settings over 225 with no smoke to speak of at 300+. Pellet grills have multiple uses because of the broad temp range that you can choose. The Bradley will never give a smoke ring, not enough wood burning. Smoke flavor is good but the proprietary Pucks you have to use are dumped every 20 minutes 90% unburned. They are not cheap and considering 3 pucks per hour X 16 hours for the average butt? Makes them one of the most expensive smokers to operate...JJ

Thanks ross77 and chef Jimmyj!

Great info on the Bradley, so I doubt one will be in my future.

Too many choices on pellet smoker to rush in. I don't need WiFi, but built in probes would be nice, especially if would go into a warming mode when a preset temp was reached. Looking pretty hard at Green Mountain though. Price certainly needs to be 1K or less and $600-$700 even better if it has meat probes

Ive been in the same boat as you. I have a small gas smoker, really not good, so i did the mailbox mod to use the amazin smoker. Worked " ok" but small area and hard to hold temp. I have a 4x8 smokehouse for the big smokes, but wanted something to do small batches. Finally pulled the trigger on a woodwind, sans the seer box as I have a nice Weber gas grill which I can quickly seer on. I also was concerned about the amount or lack of smoke on the woodwind. My plan is to try it out and if I need more smoke will put my amzin smoker in as well. Cant wait

IF you are on the fence, Green Mountain has a huge sale on for the next few days. I just bought a JB with WIFI. it was 300 off.

IF you are on the fence, Green Mountain has a huge sale on for the next few days. I just bought a JB with WIFI. it was 300 off.
The Jim Bowie is looking mighty tempting. I wasn't going to buy this year, but the specials are tempting me to warm up the credit card

This won't help....
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

I tried to use a puck shooter we had at work a couple of times.
In my opinion, it was hard to control the temp and smoke.
Didn't care for it at all.
I'm sure with time and practice they are fine.
As JJ said you can only use their pucks....
I really enjoy my Rec tec and don't find any ash tray taste as others have mentioned even when I add smoke with a tube.

Really liking the Magnum from Cabela's, but made for them by Camp Chef. Probably would not have seriously considered it, but reading through the questions and answers, this caught my eye and made me lean strongly towards this one.

"Lifetime Guarantee
Cabela’s-brand merchandise is guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship under normal wear and tear conditions.

For more information please visit:
http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/cus..."

the same Camp Chef branded smoker has a factory warranty of 3 years

How are the Cabelas pellets? Any good?
I have no idea as I do not have a pellet smoker.....yet:D I'm sure they are quite good as Cabela's has always used the best suppliers for their Cabela's branded merchandise.

Hated my Bradley, pucks got stuck, half burn't, did a pork shoulder and grease was running out the bottom. terrible temps, used a couple of times, cleaned it up, and sold it online to someone else. Lost money, but learned that sometimes we learn from experience.

I've got a Bradley it's ok but the pucks are way to much $$ for what they are. Bradleys customer service is the best I have ever dealt with.
I love it for smoking my home made summer sausage but if I want good ribs or chicken or pork butt I use my UDS or Weber kettle

I’ve been using a Bradley Digital for five years now. It’s a decent smoker but the pucks are pricey. After awhile, the feeder becomes less reliable as well. There’s a reason Bradley sells new smoke units separately. The temperature swing can also be pretty wide. That said, I’ve smoked a lot of meat in mine and have had great results. Because of the downsides, I plan on upgrading next spring. My smoker of choice is the Smokin-It 3D.

Looks like you are using bad pellets. I had dust once on a cook and it was the pellets.

Where those mesquite pellets, by chance?
Those were GMG gold blend. It's a bad picture. It not pellet dust, it's dried rub, the thick skin does't allow it to absorb into the meat.

I have a Bradley I grafted onto my Brinkman Smoke N Grill.
I only do small batches anyway, so the combination worked well for me, and still does.
But I want to shift to pellets because the pucks are getting cost prohibitive.
And have to be ordered.

I'm on the fence and pondering my next move. Best would be a pellet smoker.
The fuel is available many places around me. And I'm over due to get something more modern.
But it seems I'm basically the only one who really enjoys smoked delights here.
So I got a bag of Hickory pellets and have been experimenting with them.

The Bradley was good for me, and I used a dry catch pan so the pucks would finish burning.
But they've priced themselves out of my market.
I'm leaning towards a Green Mountain Grill Pellet popper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky