Pellet smoker VS Bradley smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bradley pucks are just too expensive. Not enough competition to get the price down.
We have a variety of smokers.

I really like the little Louisiana smoker I keep at the house (pellet burner from danson). The burn design is like Yoder - No auger fires, great control.

We had an old MES that rarely got used. Not enough smoke. However, I ran into Todd Johnson at a trade show and he gave me an A-MAZE-N smoke maze, which he designed it specifically for the MES (fits perfectly). It worked well enough that the MES went to my daughter's shed so I can use it when we visit.
Then I discovered the MES cold smoker attachment. Burns chips, not pellets, but it puts out a LOT of smoke. Despite its name, you can use it in regular cook mode, not just for cold smoking. Turned that old MES into a smoking dream.

I liked the MES cold smoker attachment until the creosote built up and wood chips would constantly get stuck.
Interesting. We have used it at least a hundred times and have had no creosote issues. I wonder whether it is maybe humidity? (high and dry in the rockies vs. MN?).

Interesting. We have used it at least a hundred times and have had no creosote issues. I wonder whether it is maybe humidity? (high and dry in the rockies vs. MN?).

For me, the problem was related to the type of chips used. The Little Chief chips I first used, which are very fine, burned very quickly and caused creosote issues, resulting in a mess and the chips not falling. Switching to larger size chips, and even chunks, dramatically improved things.

For you guys with the Bradley’s, instead of using the pucks, out a handful of pellets on the burn tray and see how that works for ya. I do that all the time and just add pellets when it stops smoking 45 min to an hour.

I’ve been using a basic old Bradley for a few years now. It did suck to use, until I put a second element in it, and added an Auber PID. Upsized all wiring to 14 ga., as it’s now a 1000 watt machine. The Auber unit is great. Holds temps within a couple of degrees, and the cook profiles are easy to program.

Would I take it over my Traeger Timberline? Nope. But it sure did serve its purpose for quite some time.

I've been using the OBS for quite a few years and am now only doing cheese, salmon, and jerky on the unit. The puck unit stopped working and I'm manually adding pucks every 45 minutes or so (puck burner still works) when I use pucks. Maintaining temperature in winter is not successful because the heating element is so weak. Open the door to rotate racks, etc., and you might as well be trying to cook with a hair dryer. Occasionally I use a 6-inch tube smoker in the Bradley, but it tends to make the cheese a bit on the ashtray side of flavor, so I stick with the pucks, which appear to deliver a milder smoke for the amount of time I keep the puck on the burner. For what I now cook in the unit, it works very well.

I'll use a pellet cooker for anything that requires steady heat.

Reactions: SonnyE
For you guys with the Bradley’s, instead of using the pucks, out a handful of pellets on the burn tray and see how that works for ya. I do that all the time and just add pellets when it stops smoking 45 min to an hour.

My thoughts are a way to feed the pellets to the burner. I still prefer cold smoking my Salmon, and the little poop pusher of the Bradley still works. So my thoughts are towards a modification that pushes a small pile of pellets onto the heater.
Or a pellet poop shooter to just dribble pellets onto the burner. Because the element is so small, it cold smokes to my liking.

I got the 1500 watt heating element for my Brinkman years ago, but didn't really use until lately. It does not have a control, but heats the chamber to ~220-230 and seems to hold it there. (I don't actually cook in my smoker, Per-Sey, I smoke in it)
But, if I set the smaller pan on the big element it will burn pellets fine, as long as I spoon feed it. Call me lazy, but I'd like something to do that for me.
So I'm in my pondering stage. Thinking about ways I can build a pellet pooper to add to my gercozoline mochine.

And that... is why I'm day dreamin about a different smoker. o_O

The indecision is over! The super buy I found on a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone was more than I could pass up. Today is smoked Venison sausage logs for the trial run.

Reactions: lantern
I just picked up a Bradley at a thrift store. Cleaned it up and looks good. Might have to run a side by side with my gmg JB wifi. The Bradley was less than a bag of pellets lol.

Reactions: radio
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky