Peach Whiskey Maple Glazed Double Smoked Ham, Sides, and next day Omelette... Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
full

I decided to jump on the ham bandwagon after seeing everyone's great posts. And when is ham a bad choice?! Ham is HIGH on the wife's list so I had to tread lightly when deviating from the norm with it, but I got the blessing to play around a bit. I wanted a Bourbon Glaze and she is not keen on bourbon so we (she) decided that Peach Crown may be a good place to start... I conceded and looked at a few glaze recipes and pieced some together (below). I must say it was good. Little too sweet but replacing the Peach Crown with normal whiskey/bourbon would be killer! On to the details...

Cook Details:

Date: 12/26/19
Meat: Cure 81 Ham
Glaze: Peach Whiskey Maple Glaze
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Post Oak
Temp: from 250°F
Spritz or Spray: Glazed in final 30 mins
Cook Time: 4 Hours ish
Sides: Mashed Spuds with Scratch Gravy and Green Beans
Next Day: Leftover Omelette

Glaze Recipe:

1/2 Cup Peach Crown (or substitute own)
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Ketchup
4 Teaspoons Rub (I ran through grinder to powder-ize)
2 Teaspoons ACV

Mix and heat to a boil then simmer til desired consistency (coats a spoon). Made about 1 cup after reduced

Pictures (comments on top):

Glaze Ingredients

full

Bubbly Goodness

full

Coats a spoon (you can see reduction amount)

full

Opening the ham

full

Glaze all the layers, both sides

full

On the pit

full

Hour in and time to probe. Color is looking good!

full

Done (145° IT) and a fresh final glazing!

full

full

Dibs on the end slice!

full

Time to make gravy. I had turkey stock I made over Thanksgiving that is perfect for this

4 TBSP Butter

full

4 TBSP Flour and some pepper

full

4 Cups of Stock and heat til thickened

full

Served with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans and I got the end piece of smokey glazey goodness!

full

The next day I took some leftover Red Bell Pepper, Onion, Jalapeno, and Ham

full

Sauteed in butter and S&P

full

Added Eggs and Cheese

full

and an amazing omelette to start the day

full

Final Thoughts:

The Glaze was a touch on the sweet side due to the selection but once it was was homogeneous, it was close to really good. I will change the Peach Crown to Jack or something next time. The prep was easy and straight forward. I was gonna use apple wood but decided with the sweet glaze to stick with Post Oak and I think it was the right choice. Paired really well. The scratch gravy was excellent and real easy to assemble and worth the extra little effort. Fresh green beans can't be beat and the plate needed some sort of green on there... so I added butter to make sure the health factor wasn't too high :emoji_laughing:. I ate more than my fair share that night and then some! But most importantly of all, the wife liked it too! She was hesitant about the glaze and extra smoke but it turned out as a flavor adder and not overpowering. Win!

As for the omelette the next day, I thought I was making it for two so I used 5 eggs. I may or may not have scarfed it down by myself as my wife wasn't hungry yet :emoji_sweat_smile: . Was a slow morning after that.

All in all it was a great meal(s) and I learned a couple new things to tweak for next time. Cooking is an ever evolving process and I have a blast continuing to learn. Ultimately, the end result of all this practice is some good eats and a trip to stretchy-pants-ville!

TL;DR

source.gif

Cheers Y'all!

That ham looks fantastic as does the omelet! Your post was enjoyable to read and super organized!! I need to lay ingredients out in a more organized manner like you did. Good stuff!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
That ham looks fantastic as does the omelet! Your post was enjoyable to read and super organized!! I need to lay ingredients out in a more organized manner like you did. Good stuff!
Thanks jcam! The wife rolls her eyes a lot :emoji_grin: I learned the trick is, once it's done, feed her, then play with my food haha.

Reactions: jcam222
Damn, that all looks amazing I never even heard of peach Crown.
I'm gonna have to grab a bottle to try on my whiskey glazed smoke salmon.....yum!!!
I bet it was great on the ham, or was it to peachy if you will? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:
How come you're hiding the Unicorn shaker? Put it up front'n center display it loud and proud.:emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_joy:
I love that thing.:emoji_thumbsup:

Damn, that all looks amazing I never even heard of peach Crown.
I'm gonna have to grab a bottle to try on my whiskey glazed smoke salmon.....yum!!!
I bet it was great on the ham, or was it to peachy if you will? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:
How come you're hiding the Unicorn shaker? Put it up front'n center display it loud and proud.:emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_joy:
I love that thing.:emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks FT! Peach Crown is very peachy. A bit much for my liking but I think it has mixing potential (or glazes haha).

Didn't mean to hide the shaker just showing the powderized rub. Here you go:

full

A good buddy made these shakers after trying a few different designs and I love it. His wife drew up the logo as tribute to an inside joke that grew online to another friends rub we were waiting on. Now it'll live forever :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
That ham looks amazing. I could go for a plate or two of that for sure! I did one similar and I agree with your assessment that Jack would probably go better. Wife cant seem to get over the honeybaked hams. I keep smoking hams to try to change her mind. I think I am getting close. Anyways points for sure on that cook. Everything looks great!

John

That ham looks amazing. I could go for a plate or two of that for sure! I did one similar and I agree with your assessment that Jack would probably go better. Wife cant seem to get over the honeybaked hams. I keep smoking hams to try to change her mind. I think I am getting close. Anyways points for sure on that cook. Everything looks great!

John

Thanks John! There is still a little leftover here. I'm looking forward to making it again with Jack next time. Might be sooner than later...

Zac,

Really nice job on that meal! Yum....

BIG LIKE!

And since my favorite tipple is Jack I would agree with the swap out. Have you ever tried the Gentleman Jack - real smooth - great on the rocks, or the Single Barrel - bit too bitter aftertaste for me though - but it is also stronger.

John

Zac,

Really nice job on that meal! Yum....

BIG LIKE!

And since my favorite tipple is Jack I would agree with the swap out. Have you ever tried the Gentleman Jack - real smooth - great on the rocks, or the Single Barrel - bit too bitter aftertaste for me though - but it is also stronger.

John

Thanks John! Love me some gentlemen Jack...

Older photo but first one I found

Screenshot_20191230-091000.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky