Pastrami Round #2 Today...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This time, with the correct amount of salt...
I put these 3 in the cure immediately after the last pastrami cook to correct for the overly salty pastrami.

Q-view:
MmsPicture_20201017133559.jpeg

I did sample a corner off one to check the salt. Oh boy, these should be perfect! Salt is right where it needs to be! Using SmokinAl SmokinAl 's smoke/sous vide schedule for this go around as well. Smoke to INT 150*F, then Sous Vide 150*F for 24 hours. Ended up in the smokehouse for around 7 hours. They are in the sous vide bath now and I will pull them tomorrow around 3:30pm. Slice pics. and comments on flavor and tenderness tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looking great, leave 1 in the bag to reabsorb the moisture over night before you slice.

Looking good Keith. I have all the faith in the world that this round will be perfect. Can't wait to see the final pic buddy. Never done pastrami but I've done a ton of corned beef. Nothing store bought can compare.

Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looking good Keith. I have all the faith in the world that this round will be perfect. Can't wait to see the final pic buddy. Never done pastrami but I've done a ton of corned beef. Nothing store bought can compare.

Robert
Thanks tx smoker. I do a lot of pastrami, but mostly from wild game and the INT never makes it above 130*, I pull them early so the meat is tender. Not much evaporative cooling with the wild game pastrami, beef on the other hand is quite substantial in my smokehouse....which concentrates the salt.

Lookin good . I have the same thing goin on with a small flat . Be ready about 3:00 . I was thinking same as mike . Fridge in the bag .
Be watching .

Looks good. Waiting to see finished product which I'm sure will be excellent. I've done a few Pastrami's, some good, some not so good. Planning another in a few weeks, still tweaking recipe, cure,etc. Next one gonna use your method.

Looks perfect!! You got it. Nice work. How is tenderness and juiciness?

Very tender and very juicy. There was about 1/2 cup of liquid in the sous vide bag, I poured it over the meat once I put it into bags...loaded with flavor.

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice! I would like to get my hands on a few Points or a Beef Plate (Beef Belly) to make Pastrami. Hot Pastrami, Swiss, Cole Slaw and Russian Dressing on Rye...One of my all time favorite sandwiches...JJ

Nice! I would like to get my hands on a few Points or a Beef Plate (Beef Belly) to make Pastrami. Hot Pastrami, Swiss, Cole Slaw and Russian Dressing on Rye...One of my all time favorite sandwiches...JJ
You got that right JJ! That's one of my all time favorites too. Where I come from in NJ, we called that a Sloppy Joe. You should see the looks I get here in Ga from people when I tell them that, lol. A former favorite deli we used to love also had that with Pastrami, Turkey, Swiss, Russian Dressing, Slaw on Rye. Ah the good old days.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
You got that right JJ! That's one of my all time favorites too. Where I come from in NJ, we called that a Sloppy Joe. You should see the looks I get here in Ga from people when I tell them that, lol. A former favorite deli we used to love also had that with Pastrami, Turkey, Swiss, Russian Dressing, Slaw on Rye. Ah the good old days.

I grew up in Piscataway, NJ, Exit 10 on the Tp. There was a Bar in town, River Road Tavern, that made the Best. Sandwiches packed so full, your Jaw hurt from opening to eat one. Been 35 years since I had one from there. Good Old Days indeed!...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky