• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pastrami Loaf (Pic Heavy)

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Cut it in half when finished and do both!
Not a bad idea Joe but the problem is that the flat is only 3#. Hardly worth the time and effort for a pound and a half of each. I may just go ahead and order a second one and do both as you suggested.

Hmmmm...
Robert

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
This is still on my list to do. I'm glad you shared how you go about doing yours. I actually did a loaf/sandwich/stromboli ...whatever you want to call it .and was getting ready to do a thread on it. Yours looks great! Like!

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Joe first the pastrami looks fantastic. I did a beef knuckle like that last year in Pops and pickling spice but found a knuckle to have too much gristle and chewy parts to it. Gonna try again soon with a better cut like you did. Now lets get to those rolls.............................WOW I seriously can almost taste them. Love the flavor combos. A+++ on this !!!!!

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
This is still on my list to do. I'm glad you shared how you go about doing yours. I actually did a loaf/sandwich/stromboli ...whatever you want to call it .and was getting ready to do a thread on it. Yours looks great! Like!
Thanks yours looks great too! If I were to use dough I would have definitely done a braid

That looks awesome!!! Great write up too !
Looks top notch Joe, very nice!
Thanks guys!

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Joe first the pastrami looks fantastic. I did a beef knuckle like that last year in Pops and pickling spice but found a knuckle to have too much gristle and chewy parts to it. Gonna try again soon with a better cut like you did. Now lets get to those rolls.............................WOW I seriously can almost taste them. Love the flavor combos. A+++ on this !!!!!
Thank you very much! The flaky crescent rolls provide a nice contrast to the heavier filling ingredients.

Not a fan of the gristle.

bacon_crazy510

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 17, 2018
xray xray I just found this post because I'm about to make a pastrami, and was looking for ideas.

HOLY JEEBUS!!!!

What a great cook, and a very detailed write up. Win win. Very nice Sir!!!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
This thing avoided me long enough!!!
Nice Job, Joe!!
Looks Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
xray xray I just found this post because I'm about to make a pastrami, and was looking for ideas.

HOLY JEEBUS!!!!

What a great cook, and a very detailed write up. Win win. Very nice Sir!!!
Thanks Bacon! and for the kind words! It is some good stuff especially if you like Rubens. You could make this as simple or complex as you like. Make the dough, buy the dough...make the pastrami, go to the deli.....it's all good.

There's a lot of pastrami threads on the forum, the search bar is your friend. I will say, this was made with a london broil, so if you're going to use a thicker piece of meat, make sure to inject to ensure cure penetration.

I make a lot to slice, cube and freeze for Rubens and pastrami hash.

This thing avoided me long enough!!!
Nice Job, Joe!!
Looks Awesome!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear! No worry, it will always be here waiting for you. I could always reheat the thread for leftovers!

Thanks again for the like!

This all looks so great! Wonderful cook. Big like!
Thanks Disco! It's a pretty quick meal, not counting the time in the brine. Good to see you back.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Will Squared Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I missed this too . Looks great . I knew a gal that would make that filling and bake in on the little rye bread squares .

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Joe looks like this slipped by me sorry for being late.That looks great I may copycat this for Patties day. Likes
Richie

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Wow Great Post Looks Fantastic Nice Job

Gary

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
I missed this too . Looks great . I knew a gal that would make that filling and bake in on the little rye bread squares .
Thanks Chop, that sounds really good too. Last year for my work Christmas party I made reuben dip and had pumpernickel bread and rye triscuits for dipping. That was good too!

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Joe looks like this slipped by me sorry for being late.That looks great I may copycat this for Patties day. Likes
Richie
Thanks Richie, it’s still here but the actual food is long gone.

With you being an accomplished bread maker, you could easily make a nice stromboli out of it and stuff it to the gills. The crescent rolls also work good for an easy fix.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.