Pastrami Loaf (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
So to start, I have no idea where this should go because it involves a little bit of everything; curing, smoking, sous vide and finally cooking. Please feel free to move.

Every year for the Super Bowl, my wife requests me to make a pastrami loaf. It is basically pastrami/corned beef (your choice), sauerkraut, Swiss thousand island dressing that is baked in the oven either in crescent rolls or pizza dough. At this point it is almost a tradition, plus we always vow to eat better after the big game is over. So she looks at this like the last big hurrah!

Well, this time I took the scenic route on getting this done. I had an extra London Broil leftover so I decided to brine it in pops6927 pops6927 brine with 3T pickling spice added. The London broil was brined for 11 days:
IMG_3961.jpg

After, I pulled the London Broil out of the brine, it was ice bathed for 4 hours and then rubbed with pastrami rub and into the refrigerator overnight. I use a slightly modified version of Meathead's pastrami rub.

Pastrami Rub:
4T coarse black pepper
2T coriander
1T smoked paprika
1T brown sugar
1T pickling spice mix, finely ground
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
1t mustard powder

IMG_3965.jpg

Since this was a thinner piece of meat, I smoked at 180F until my internal temperature was 140F. This took me a little over 4 hours. I added this to my smoker after I pulled the Cajun sausage out. Smoker saw double duty this weekend.

Here it is out of the smoke. I like to lightly hit the surface of the meat with a propane torch. I find that doing this let's the rub adhere better during the long SV bath. Since I am not cooking this any further after the SV, the rub can sometimes get a little pasty.
IMG_3973.jpg

Bagged and ready to go. I went 12 hours at 150F in the Sous Vide bath.
IMG_3974.jpg

After 12 hours, the meat was placed in an ice bath to quickly cool the pastrami. Here it is ready to be cut.
IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

Delicious!

Now that the pastrami is finished and out of the way. Time to make the Pastrami loaf for the big game.

Pastrami Loaf

1c Pastrami or corned beef (store bought works fine too)
1c Sauerkraut, well drained (I like Bavarian style)
1c Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2c Thousand Island dressing
1T Dijon Mustard
2 tubes of cresecnt rolls (the filling makes enough for 2 loaves)

These are all approximates, I don't measure the ingredients. You could add and remove as much as you want. Taste it before making the loaves. Pizza dough can be used as well, my wife always requests the crescent rolls.

Here's all the ingredients.
IMG_3986.jpg

Mix well.
IMG_3987.jpg

Next open a tube of crescent rolls and place the two portions inside the tube side by side so it is wider. Pinch together any perforations closed until you have a nice piece of dough. Spoon the filling onto dough and fold over the top to pinch and close.
IMG_3988.jpg

Repeat with the second crescent roll tube. I always make these on individual cookie sheets. They could tear easily when trying to move them to make room for the other roll. I am not exactly a graceful person by any means.

Egg-white wash the top and sprinkle with caraway seeds if desired. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
IMG_3989.jpg

Out of the oven and resting 10 minutes.
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

Slice and enjoy. We cut these in quarters.
IMG_3991.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Last edited:
Damn Joe...those look REALLY good!! Kinda like a Ruben roll. I can certainly see why you and your wife love those, and why she requests them. If those were anywhere near me, you'd have to make at least two more. I'd tear those up!!

Mmm mmm good!!
Robert

That looks great.. :emoji_yum: Also, that remnds me, I haven't made pastrami in far too long.. Time to go buy a brisket flat.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Will Squared
I thought this was gonna be ground formed pastrami.
I was mistaken in a good way. :emoji_thumbsup:
Though GF might save you quite a bit of time with this in the future?

Reactions: Will Squared
Well Joe, you went and done it again my friend. I just remembered that I have a 3# brisket flat in the freezer from an order of CPB that I bought before getting access to their wholesale side and getting whole packers. Being that I just did a brisket last weekend and have one more huge one in the freezer, it only made sense to use the flat for corned beef. I may go ahead and turn it into pastrami but I'm a corned beef junkie!! It's defrosting now and I'll get it started curing tomorrow.

Joe is a bad influence in a good way,
Robert

Looks great but my eyes deceive me. It looks like a full batch of filling in One Loaf? Is it smaller than the Loaf appears?...JJ

looks delicious Joe, since Rueben's are probably in my top 5 foods that pastrami loaf is definitely on my to do list. thanks for sharing

Damn Joe...those look REALLY good!! Kinda like a Ruben roll. I can certainly see why you and your wife love those, and why she requests them. If those were anywhere near me, you'd have to make at least two more. I'd tear those up!!

Mmm mmm good!!
Robert

Thank you Robert! They sure are a quick meal not counting making your own pastrami.

That looks great.. :emoji_yum: Also, that remnds me, I haven't made pastrami in far too long.. Time to go buy a brisket flat.

JC :emoji_cat:

Thank you! St. Patties is right around the corner!!

One of the most creative and delicious looking meals I have seen in a while!

Thanks for the kind words Saint, that's a pretty big compliment for my humble loaf. You could make it easier or complex as you want to. I just took the long way for the pastrami. This is easily made with pantry ingredients. I've made it many times with deli corned beef and bagged shredded swiss.

I thought this was gonna be ground formed pastrami.
I was mistaken in a good way. :emoji_thumbsup:
Though GF might save you quite a bit of time with this in the future?

Thanks moto, always wanted to try the ground formed stuff. There's just so many things on here to try that it would take me a lifetime.

Awesome idea and a great looking sammie.

Warren

Thank you Warren, I appreciate it.

Excellent - thanks for sharing!

Your welcome, that's why this site exists...to share good food. Make it yours!

Wow Joe that looks amazing! Damn delicious! Really like to creativity of it all. Big LIKE my friend!

Thanks John! You could get creative or as simple as you like, there's no wrong way to make this.

Very nice looking summie! Looks awesome! Bookmarked.

Thank you! Make it yours!

Well Joe, you went and done it again my friend. I just remembered that I have a 3# brisket flat in the freezer from an order of CPB that I bought before getting access to their wholesale side and getting whole packers. Being that I just did a brisket last weekend and have one more huge one in the freezer, it only made sense to use the flat for corned beef. I may go ahead and turn it into pastrami but I'm a corned beef junkie!! It's defrosting now and I'll get it started curing tomorrow.

Joe is a bad influence in a good way,
Robert

Well St. Patties day is right around the corner, get cracking! I like my corned beef too!! But the edge goes to pastrami, at least for me.

Looks great but my eyes deceive me. It looks like a full batch of filling in One Loaf? Is it smaller than the Loaf appears?...JJ

Thank you JJ, the filling is enough to fill 2 loaves (2 tubes of crescent rolls). I apologize if there's any camera trickery involved. My wife had a picture of both:
IMG_4009.jpg

You would never fit all the filling in one loaf without tearing it apart. You could easily use pizza dough for a big-ass Reuben stromboli. The wife and I enjoy the crescent rolls because they are lighter than pizza dough. It provides a nice balance to the filling. Sometimes when I eat regular stromboli it feels I ate a brick between all the heavy ingredients.

Thank you Robert! They sure are a quick meal not counting making your own pastrami.

Quick or not, that is just beautiful...but I'm a sauerkraut junkie. That is a carousel worthy post from my perspective...but maybe I'm a bit biased :emoji_wink:

Robert

Well St. Patties day is right around the corner, get cracking! I like my corned beef too!! But the edge goes to pastrami, at least for me.

The brisket flat is still in the defrost mode and the jury is still out: corned beef or pastrami. Doesn't matter, it'll be good either way and corned beef is traditional for Rubens. Done them with pastrami though and that's really hard to beat :emoji_laughing:

Decisions, decisions,
Robert

The brisket flat is still in the defrost mode and the jury is still out: corned beef or pastrami. Doesn't matter, it'll be good either way and corned beef is traditional for Rubens. Done them with pastrami though and that's really hard to beat :emoji_laughing:

Decisions, decisions,
Robert

Cut it in half when finished and do both!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky