Pastrami from Beef Sirloin Tip (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hey All,

A while back I posted about a good deal I got on a couple of beef sirloin tip roasts on this post. I decided to try curing with Cure #1 and ordered a bag off Amazon. Here is how I made it:

Here is the roast I used (I actually used a slightly smaller one but it's the same cut and price):
20200305_125956.jpg

I added Cure #1, salt and sugar based on the Digging Dog Farms Cure Calculator. I also added some store bought pickling spice to the bag.
20200312_171037.jpg

After 11 days curing I removed it from the bag and rinsed it off. Gave it a 30 minute soak in cold water and did a test fry to see if it was too salty. It wasn't.
20200322_135951.jpg

I did some trimming after the soak since I couldn't before since I bagged it with cure while frozen. Then rubbed in mustard and put on a ton of fresh ground pepper.
20200322_143600.jpg

Then into my trusty MES30 for 2 hours with apple chips. Once it was out I bagged it and put it in my sous vide for 24 hours at 153.
20200323_215302.jpg

Put it in the fridge to chill and sliced a bit to take to work today for lunch today after it was cold.
20200323_215615.jpg

Today's lunch:
20200324_112657.jpg

Overall I am happy with the results. The texture of the meat is perfect for lunch meat. The flavor needs a little tweaking. Next time I will make my own pickling spice and use a true pastrami rub for the smoke. I used what I had on hand since I am avoiding stores whenever possible. Also I will definitely smoke using my popcorn tin external smoker next time. I have not been using it for shorter smokes but can surely tell the difference in the flavor of the smoke. The stuff using the stock tube loader just tastes a little sooty to me now. That being said this will make a good number of tasty sandwiches and I think the smoke will mellow with time. I am going to vacuum pack most of it and freeze it.

Thanks for looking!
-drew-

Looks Good from where I'm Sitting Nice Job

Gary

Reactions: DrewJ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky