Pastrami from Beef Sirloin Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hey All,

Stopped by a local supermarket on my lunch break and found they had beef sirloin tip on sale for $2 a pound. Having never used the cut or knowing anything about it I bought 2. I have been wanting to make some pastrami from scratch using the cure-smoke-sous vide method and thought this could be a cheap way to give it a try. A few questions came to mind before I get started.

-Is this a good idea with this cut?
-I only have Tenderquick at the moment. Can I use this as a dry or wet brine or should I get some #1?
-I am seeing a sous vide time of 155 for 24 hours for other cuts like eye of round. Would this work for this chunk of meat?
-Should I go buy more of it at this price? :)

Thanks!
-drew-

Picture:
20200305_125956.jpg

I think you will be fine for making pastrami. Pastrami can be made from leaner cuts like eye of round and tri tip. I recently did one using a London Broil that was placed in Pops Brine w/ added pickling spice.

I like the smoke and SV method. I go 24 hours on the store bought brisket flats that are already corned. For the London Broil I only went 12 hours since it was a much thinner cut...turned out good!

Pastrami from London Broil

I think $1.99lb is an excellent price. I don't see any cuts of beef that cheap in my area.

No one else? Guess I'll try curing with a dry brine of tenderquick since it's what I have. Just need to grab some pickling spice on my next trip to the store.

Drew , so much gets push down the line and missed sometimes . Just now seeing this , so I'm guessing you have it curing by now . That will work great , I do it from eye round and it comes out fantastic .
Yes I would say that was a great price on that .

Reactions: DrewJ
Thanks for the reply! It is actually not in the cure yet but I ordered some #1 off Amazon to give a try. I like the idea of having more control over the salt content. The Canadian Bacon I made with TQ was a tad salty for my family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky