• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pastrami from Beef Sirloin Tip (pic heavy)

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 17, 2017
Hey All,

A while back I posted about a good deal I got on a couple of beef sirloin tip roasts on this post. I decided to try curing with Cure #1 and ordered a bag off Amazon. Here is how I made it:

Here is the roast I used (I actually used a slightly smaller one but it's the same cut and price):
20200305_125956.jpg

I added Cure #1, salt and sugar based on the Digging Dog Farms Cure Calculator. I also added some store bought pickling spice to the bag.
20200312_171037.jpg

After 11 days curing I removed it from the bag and rinsed it off. Gave it a 30 minute soak in cold water and did a test fry to see if it was too salty. It wasn't.
20200322_135951.jpg

I did some trimming after the soak since I couldn't before since I bagged it with cure while frozen. Then rubbed in mustard and put on a ton of fresh ground pepper.
20200322_143600.jpg

Then into my trusty MES30 for 2 hours with apple chips. Once it was out I bagged it and put it in my sous vide for 24 hours at 153.
20200323_215302.jpg

Put it in the fridge to chill and sliced a bit to take to work today for lunch today after it was cold.
20200323_215615.jpg

Today's lunch:
20200324_112657.jpg

Overall I am happy with the results. The texture of the meat is perfect for lunch meat. The flavor needs a little tweaking. Next time I will make my own pickling spice and use a true pastrami rub for the smoke. I used what I had on hand since I am avoiding stores whenever possible. Also I will definitely smoke using my popcorn tin external smoker next time. I have not been using it for shorter smokes but can surely tell the difference in the flavor of the smoke. The stuff using the stock tube loader just tastes a little sooty to me now. That being said this will make a good number of tasty sandwiches and I think the smoke will mellow with time. I am going to vacuum pack most of it and freeze it.

Thanks for looking!
-drew-

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
The coriander makes all the difference in the rub. Plus if you can get it whole its super easy to grind Iin any disposal grinder

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Nice sandwich! The Pastrami looks excellent.

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Looks Good from where I'm Sitting Nice Job

Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.