Pastrami - First Attempt - Annnd Done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Went to a local pastrami place with some friends and I decided I could do better (We will see...)

Went to Costco and got a small brisket and separated. The point is for later. Only working with the flat.
IMG_2436.JPG

Seasoned and Cure #1 by weight according to DigginDog
IMG_2440.JPG

Let it cure for about 10 days and soak a bit:

IMG_2473.JPG

On to the smoker. Cut a corner off to see the color and ...... Hmmmm. I expected a more uniform pinkish color but we will see.
IMG_2475.JPG

I just put it on at about 15 minutes ago. Just threw a hickory chunk on and it is up a bit at 275.

More updates as the smoking rolls on......

HD

On for about 2 hours. Smoker running about 260 on average. IT up to 154. Looking pretty good.... Wonder when it will stall.

IMG_2476.JPG

Smoked for about 4 or so hours at about 270 ish. It was 90 here so smoker ran hotter than I was planning for.

Wrapped at 166 IT. I let go till it hit 203 IT and rested for 2 hours.

Done:
IMG_2479.JPG

Then sliced.
IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

For a first try, it is pretty OK. Definitely a pastrami flavor, along with pepper. Texture is fine. I have found that smoked things are a bit better the following day so I am anxious for tomorrow to come. Maybe I can get some rye bread!!!

Fun process and we have some good sandwich meat now.

Thanks for following along!!!

HD

Have to say.. looks damn good .. and the hand slicing is spot on... great job ...

Will have to agree with ya about the next day things taste better ...

Looks great for a first attempt. You shouls be proud...JJ

You Dog, finally lost your pastrami virginity - looks awesome. You done did good!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Here's the best one I've found.
It's a bit of a chore to make but the results are outstanding.

Thx everyone for the nice comments, appreciate it.

Had it for lunch - no rye bread yet - and it was really good, surprised myself!! I steamed it to reheat and used only mustard. Yum. Now I think I need to find a deli potato salad recipe for the side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky