Parmesan Chicken Kettle Style and mozzarella sticks!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
The wife and I were looking to eat something different for supper tonight, and since mother nature wasn't in one of her ugly moods. I decided to break out the 22" kettle and Vortex. It was a nice sunny day with temps ranging in the 70*s. The wind was gusting but you can't have everything. At least it wasn't snowing.

Well here goes Chicken parmesan kettle style.

First some of the ingredients: Itialan seasoning, parsley flakes, kosher salt, ground pepper, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, chicken breasts, italian bread crumbs/panko crumbs, and some tomato sauce. I won't go into the dredging process as that' fairly self-explanitory.

DSC01379.JPG

The coals are hot and the chicken is on:

DSC01383.JPG

...and a shot of the cooks reward:
DSC01381.JPG

Starting to take on some color:

DSC01384.JPG

The chunk of apple wood is doing it's thing:
DSC01386.JPG

Browning up nicely:

DSC01387.JPG

Time to lay down a coat of parmesan cheese to go with the parmesan thats mixed in with the breading:

DSC01390.JPG

Then a layer of sauce:

DSC01392.JPG

and finally some mozzarella cheese:

DSC01394.JPG

It's done and time to come off kettle: It was also getting dark out.
DSC01397.JPG

All three inside waiting for any takers:

DSC01400.JPG

Plated and ready to be eaten:

DSC01405.JPG

Now since I had some extra mozzarella cheese leftover. I decided to give making mozzarella sticks a whirl again. I tried it once before on the kettle and they melted. So I said to myself - self you can't let the cheese defeat you twice. Go for it, and I did.

So here they are all sliced up and coated. - fingers crossed. Hot smoking cheese is very different.
DSC01380.JPG
E

Especially in the dark: The outdoor light didn't help with the pics sorry about that. They did start to melt. I was getting worried.

DSC01401.JPG

But alas we have success!!!

DSC01403.JPG

Well that's it for this rodeo. Thanks for taking a look. Both the chicken and the sticks tasted great. We didn't even use the pizza sauce on the sticks they were that good.

Who says you can't hot smoke cheese. I just did it in my kettle with the Vortex running full bore.

Chris

That all looks great . Love doing that type of cook on a kettle . Cheese came out good . Did you freeze it first ? Never did it on a weber , but when I deep fry it , I coat then freeze before frying .

Very nice! I love cheese sticks but alway freeze and fry like chopsaw chopsaw . would love to try on the smoker but figured by the time I would go check on them they would be melted through the grate lol!

Reactions: chopsaw
Chris that all looks amazing!! Friend brought me a keto version of chicken like this the other night and we wolfed it.

Great job Chris! All looks good!

Thanks Justin, and for the like

That all looks great . Love doing that type of cook on a kettle . Cheese came out good . Did you freeze it first ? Never did it on a weber , but when I deep fry it , I coat then freeze before frying .

This is my favorite type of cook also. I meant to freeze the cheese before smoking, but couldn't fit them in the freezer. So I put them in the fridge for a couple of hours. Thanks for the like and compliment Chop appreciate them.

Chris

Very nice! I love cheese sticks but alway freeze and fry like chopsaw chopsaw . would love to try on the smoker but figured by the time I would go check on them they would be melted through the grate lol!

Thanks Travis - appreciate that. I wanted to freeze them first but the freezer was full. My last batch melted thru the grates. Still tasted good just not very appealing to the eye

Chris that all looks amazing!! Friend brought me a keto version of chicken like this the other night and we wolfed it.

Sounds great Jeff, was it just seasoned chicken without the breading? Appreciate the like and compliment.

Chris

Thanks Travis - appreciate that. I wanted to freeze them first but the freezer was full. My last batch melted thru the grates. Still tasted good just not very appealing to the eye

Sounds great Jeff, was it just seasoned chicken without the breading? Appreciate the like and compliment.

Chris
Coated in shredded parm and almond flour.

Looks good to me. I saw a cooking show, DDD I think, where the Chef wrapped the Mozz in a thin sheet of Pasta Dough before Breading and Frying. I imagine that may seal in the cheese nicely for Kettle time...JJ

Why not dang something else on the bucket list. Great looking job.

Warren

Thanks Warren and for the like. That bucket list never seems to stop growing.

Coated in shredded parm and almond flour.

Jeff,
I've never tried almond flour, but will look for it at the grocer. Is it much different then the regular stuff?

Chris

Looks good to me. I saw a cooking show, DDD I think, where the Chef wrapped the Mozz in a thin sheet of Pasta Dough before Breading and Frying. I imagine that may seal in the cheese nicely for Kettle time...JJ

Great idea JJ, A while ago I was thinking about using puff pastry with some type of preserve for more of a desert type thing during the holidays. Thanks for the like also.

Chris

JLeonard JLeonard thank you for the like appreciated it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky