PA New Braunfels Smoker Restore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Please feel free to offer advice, tips, ideas or any input you have on this project.

As most of you already know, I picked this smoker up from a fellow smoker Chef Jimmy from Harrisburg.

If all works out well this will be Frank Jr. (Mini Me)

f757d1c7_20120710238.jpg

July 9, 2012

We got to Jimmy's and had a beer, yes a Killians, what can I say, the man has good taste in beer.
My brother Jim and I went to secure the smoker and Jimmy tossed a few brats on his smoker.
Brother Jim securing the ropes, I drag my poor brother into all kindsa CHIT!

Jimmy smoking his brats.
I had given Jimmy some of my Hot Sauces, he seemed to like them or maybe he was just being polite lol.

Jimmy also gave us a Chimney Starter, 2 brand new handles for the New Braunfels, 3 bags of charcoal and a Mecco Water smoker

After everything was secure Jimmy, Jim and myself sat and had another beer and tossed around a few stories.

Well the trip home was uneventful except for when I pulled out of your driveway.

I almost took out his telephone pole.

When I was making the left out of the Driveway, I thought the smoker had shifted and was watching it through the rearview and misjudged the road, I would say I missed the pole by maybe 6 inches, I'm pretty sure he seen me swerve Ha Ha OH WELL.

I was going to start the restore in the fall because of financial reasons and I don't like the hot weather, any how I am the type of person that can't just wait, so I started on it last night.

Ok now the introductions are out of the way, lets see what we can do with this smoker.

Well I hit my first snag, the bottom is completely rusted out on the side opposite the firebox, after pulling off all the loose stuff it was not looking good, it's so bad in some spots that it cant be wire brushed and is through to the other side, its solid rust completely through.

My initial plans were to clean it up and play around with it before painting and making any modifications.

This is the metal plate that was in the firebox.

I lost a lot of metal in the firebox as well.

My wife came out last night while I was working on it and said what's wrong you look like bewildered.

I told her the condition of the smoker and she said, "well if it's no good toss it".

Sad, but she don't understand what is sitting there. After all, she doesn't want to see me getting frustrated over something like this when I already have a functional reverse flow.

After she said that, I said, "NO I have to figure out a way to save it", (Visualize me giving the smoker CPR), so out came the tools.

So in order to try and not overwhelm myself, I'm going to work on this one problem at a time.

I played with it last night and may have a few ideas on saving it.

I had a few compressors and small 30 pound propane tanks at work that I had brought home in case I needed the metal for tuning plates or a reverse flow plate.

After looking at the rusted out hole in the bottom and trying not to get discouraged I looked at the compressor and thought they looked to be the same diameter.

So I took some measurements and yes, they are the exact same diameter, so I started hacking up the compressor.

Dry fitted the new piece, I cut this so the grates would rest right on top of the new fitted piece.
After I get both pieces dry fitted and aligned properly, I'll take off the bolted legs paint them and drill the holes for the legs through the new metal.

I will also cut a piece to fit the side you see to the right.

As of now I plan on mudding the bottom with Rutland Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement
. I'm not sure if welding would be a good idea because of the condition of the bottom portion of the smoker.

I'll probably hit the smoker with a wire wheel and a coat of Ospho Metal Treatment, before any painting.

After I was satisfied that a restore was possible, I played around a bit to watch and see how this thing works.

I stared with a full chimney on top of a half of a basket I borrowed from Frank and checked temps in different areas of the smoker then added wood to get the temp up real high to dry it out real good and try to eliminate the possibility of any immediate rusting.

Well it appears to have good flow and the doors all are a pretty good fit and leak slightly, I will use some RTV to fix that when the time comes.
The heat recovery is really good and heats up pretty quick, Guess I'm used to heating up Frank.

I see why these type smokers are modded with baffles I could probably use this as is but my smoking area would be limited to the side away from the firebox.
I can also see why folks use just charcoal or lump on theses smokers.

So my plan is to fix what needs to be fixed and start with the modding later.
I think I'm going to use tuning plates as opposed to a reverse flow.

Last edited:
Sorry about the condition, I really had no idea. But it seems you have the material and tools to get the job done on the cheap. I owe you and yours a "sorry for the hassle" meal. I'll be in touch, things should be straightened out by end of August...I'll buy the Killian's and maybe some Jameson's, you arrange a Designated Driver...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

BTW: For all the Offset, Charcoal and Wood burning Newbies...Keep the Ashes out of the Smoker! Add some moisture and time, you got rust...That NB was 20 years old, the thin metal in a Char-Griller or Brinkman won't last two seasons...

Last edited:
Sorry about the condition, I really had no idea. But it seems you have the material and tools to get the job done on the cheap. I owe you and yours a "sorry for the hassle" meal. I'll be in touch, things should be straightened out by end of August...I'll buy the Killian's and maybe some Jameson's, you arrange a Designated Driver...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

BTW: For all the Offset, Charcoal and Wood burning Newbies...Keep the Ashes out of the Smoker! Add some moisture and time, you got rust...That NB was 20 years old, the thin metal in a Char-Griller or Brinkman won't last two seasons...
Great advice and as I said before no problem, no hassle, even if it was a total loss I still got to meet a fellow smoker and got away from the kids for a few hours. Plus I got to  bullchit with my brother for a few hours.

I'll still take you up on the dinner but I'll get he beer.

Looks like you are all over that thing already. Nice save. 

I would suggest you have one of his girls do the cooking - I hear he ain't that good anymore 
pot.gif

I would suggest you have one of his girls do the cooking - I hear he ain't that good anymore 
pot.gif
jaw-dropping.gif
 That ain't even right! I'm not as fast as the Girls anymore...But not a bite hits the table that they don't get it checked by Dad first!...Actually, I would have them cook too, more time for socializing...JJ

Looks like you are all over that thing already. Nice save. 

pot.gif
Too funny.

I think there's a lot of cooking talent in that family so I feel pretty confident no matter who cooks it should be a meal to talk about..

Thank you ,Sqwib for saving my smoker,LOL Looking like it's in for another life time of good smokes. I'll have to stop sometime and visit her.sniff,sniff.

Ya'll have a ball and take care of 'my' smoker.Hahahaha.

Have fun and...

SQWIB, going reverse flow will make that unit perfect. You going to give it up to your Newbie buddy after all this work?...JJ

Good info, I wanted to do as a reverse flow as you did here but was worried about the downward piece getting hammered with heat, its a pretty good drop from the top of the inlet to  just below the grates, Anyhow I have to use a baffle of some type I may rethink and go with the reversseflow. I have some 14 gauge steel, not very heavy but can't be throwing too much money into this.

Here's an idea I have for a waterpan in a RF like this one... I am not very putor literate to make a drawing and show what I mean.. so I'll have to try to explain the best I can...

over to the left of the RF plate (next to firebox) you build a water trough.. However tall the piece is that's going up the side and bolted (which can't be bolted for leaking water)... make another piece that height and weld it onto the RF plate... say maybe 3 inches away from the sidewall... then you make 3" wide pieces for the ends and weld those on to both of the side pieces you have and that will make a nice water trough right next to the heat... you can use water or leave it dry... If you want it to hold more water you make it taller (all the way up to the bottom of the grate)...

Just a thought I had

Last edited:
Here's an idea I have for a waterpan in a RF like this one... I am not very putor literate to make a drawing and show what I mean.. so I'll have to try to explain the best I can...
over to the left of the RF plate (next to firebox) you build a water trough.. However tall the piece is that's going up the side and bolted (which can't be bolted for leaking water)... make another piece that height and weld it onto the RF plate... say maybe 3 inches away from the sidewall... then you make 3" wide pieces for the ends and weld those on to both of the side pieces you have and that will make a nice water trough right next to the heat... you can use water or leave it dry... If you want it to hold more water you make it taller (all the way up to the bottom of the grate)...
Just a thought I had
I know exactly what you are talking about I seen a guy do that in a video on you tube.

I'll update you guys with some ideas I have in a bit.

July 12, 2012

I figured it be better tearing the smoker down completely and rebuild from the ground up.

First I removed my dry fit plate, (need to make another one).

I started by removing the firebox, all the screws came out fairly easy using vise grips. There was a coating on them from the fire that kept them from rusting too badly.

Then I removed the exhaust pipe, again no problem.

Next step was to remove the bolts holding on the legs. No problems with the nuts except with one. I had to knock it down a bit with the angle grinder. I didn't want to grind it down too much because it appeared the bolts protruding from the legs are welded in place. Cap screws are usually able to be removed with vise grips, sometimes if they are rusted out too bad the bolt will twist and snap, the fact that these were in a layer of grease was a big help.

After I removed the legs I noticed that the bolts are indeed welded in place so hopefully they will be long enough to go through the existing smoker body and the new plates I will be adding.

Removing the bolts from the legs that held the supports in place proved to be more difficult (Phillips head machine screws), I hit these with an angle grinder and popped then through.

Now that everything is in pieces I can see what needs to be fixed, beefed up or replaced.

Evaluating the extent of the rust.

I'm a little concerned taking a wire wheel to close to the thinnest part, note the Pliers in the hole.

I got hold of some type 316 SS 1/4-20 caps screws, bolts and Lock Washers.

I'll probably start with the legs this weekend, sanding and painting.

I decided to do this as a reverse flow and acquired a 14 gauge shelf that I feel should be thick enough for a reverse flow plate. My only fear is the downward piece getting hammered with heat, its a pretty good drop from the top of the inlet to just below the grates.

Boykjo's reverse plate mod below.

I have a few ideas for this, I may add a second plate from the firebox angled downward towards the reverse flow plate like I did on frank to reduce the hammering effect, or may do something as simple as placing a piece of granite on the firebox side, I really wont know till I start putting it back together and get a better Idea on what I am up against.

hey squib    heres a visual so you can see what ift should look like when your done

f57047fd_braunfels.jpg

im working on one also

49d63bbe_newbraunfels002.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky