PA Dutch Hamburger BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
My wife being PA dutch calls this hamburger bbq, most call it sloppy joes. She ate it when she was a young Amish girl.......
I spent many years in Lancaster county, lots of this served at estate sales and such.

20211022_164510.jpg

Looks Mighty Familiar to me Rick!!
That name must be an Amish thing. All of My extended Family Members are Pennsylvania Dutch, and We all call it Sloppy Joes.
But Who Cares---I love it !!
All Mrs Bear does is Add "Manwich Original".
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks good! I'm sure what it's called is regional but I don't care... they taste good! We like em with a slice of American cheese, my wife likes putting Lay's potato chips on hers too!

Ryan

Looks good. Growing up with a Coal Cracker, NEPA, Scranton area Mom, if she said, " We are having Barbeque for Supper..." This is what was served. Got to have Chips and Pickles on the side. My kids call it Hamburger Barbeque to differentiate from Low and Slow BBQ.
I'd have to look up the exact measurements of the ingredients, but it's basically Ground Beef, Heinz Chili Sauce, Spicy Brown Mustard, fine diced Onion, minced Garlic and Brown Sugar to taste. Some folks add Green Pepper and or Liquid Smoke. Saute the Veg, Brown the Beef, add remaining and Simmer to desired thickness...JJ

Will have to ask her about recipe, its on one of her moms old recipe cards. Prob diff than some as its a Lancaster county recipe from who knows where.

Looks really good, I call them sloppy joe’s.
But who cares what you call them, we love them and as I said yours looks delicious. Hard to make a bad sloppy joe!
Al

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker I'm looking forward to seeing an old Dutchy Recipe from your Mrs'. Below is what I and my crew grew up on...

Mom J's Hamburger Barbeque

4 Pounds Ground Chuck
2C Diced Onions
1Tbs Minced Garlic
1C Diced Green Pepper (Optional)*
2Tbs Veg Oil
2-12 oz Bottles Heinz Chili Sauce
1/4C Spicy Brown Mustard, Gulden's
1/2C Ketchup
2Tbs Molasses
2Tbs Brown Sugar
2tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Salt

Saute the Beef, Onions, Garlic and Green Pepper, if using, until Brown. Strain off Grease and return meat to the pot.
Add remaining Ingredients, bring to a Simmer and reduce to desired thickness.
I reduce until it no longer falls off the sides of a full Spoon.
Stir frequently. The thicker it gets, the greater the chance the meat sticks and the sugar burns.
Adjust seasoning. More Mustard if too Sweet or more Sugar to your taste.

Makes 16 to 20 portions on Hamburger Buns. It Freezes very well so worth making a big batch.👍

*Dad was not a fan of Green Peppers, so Mom left them out.😋 I add a 7oz Can of Chopped Green Chiles...JJ

I've tried some recipes to get that "Manwich" fix. But never succeeded. I never thought about using Heinz Chili Sauce.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm also waiting to see the one from BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker that looks downright tasty!

Reactions: zwiller
Called sloppy joes here in Ohio but have a friend call them wimpy's. We're manwich folks but have tried lots of other recipes and all end up pretty much similar. Always wondered how it would taste made with actual BBQ sauce like Jeff's but never have. As was said, onion and cheese are good tweaks but my fave is a well toasted bun.

I've tried some recipes to get that "Manwich" fix. But never succeeded. I never thought about using Heinz Chili Sauce.

Make sure to add Green and/or Red Bell Pepper. They are high on the Manwich ingredient list. They also list " Chili Pepper " which could be who knows what variety. Maybe a teaspoon, or so, of Ancho Chili, Regular Chili Powder or Paprika with a touch of Cayenne would fit the bill...JJ

Reactions: Steve H
I can see if she will give me the recipe thats on her moms old recipe card, its like dirt old.
HA

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Make sure to add Green and/or Red Bell Pepper. They are high on the Manwich ingredient list. They also list " Chili Pepper " which could be who knows what variety. Maybe a teaspoon, or so, of Ancho Chili, Regular Chili Powder or Paprika with a touch of Cayenne would fit the bill...JJ

Thanks Jimmy. Maybe that was the problem. I did use bell pepper. Perhaps not enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky