Oysters - Brined - Cold Smoked - Canned - From Go to Show w/Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those oysters are beautiful Tom. Have you tried any yet? Like others have said, if those were mine I don't think they would have made it to the canning stage.

When you canned them did you add any spices or herbs? Also, what of wood did you use in the AMNPS?

Very nice job.

Those oysters are beautiful Tom. Have you tried any yet? Like others have said, if those were mine I don't think they would have made it to the canning stage.

When you canned them did you add any spices or herbs? Also, what of wood did you use in the AMNPS?

Very nice job.
Thanks dls.  Haven't tried any as of yet.  A half dozen didn't make it to the canner.

As my smoked salmon brine was used, no other ingredients were used.  The pellets used for this smoke were the Amazin Pit Master.

Mr T's "Smoked Salmon From Go to Show" w/Q-View  

The AMNPS was placed in the external heat sink and by using a small fan, a almost invisible white smoke was pushed into the smoker until color was noticed on the oysters, 1 hour.

Tom

Atomic, I am glad your asking this question..... That thread looks phenomenal...... That is going to have to be on the list as well... Ok, Maybe start a new list for after spring break up.....  

Mr.T,

I know this is an old thread but I was curious about the texture of the canned oysters?
Good question and thank you AB for your kind comment.

The texture is very similar to the ones purchased in stores, not mushy, but not real firm. they just have a very pleasing bite to them.

Hope this helps.

T

I like store bought smoked/canned oysters. Definitely will try this.

What do you think about using the same method on mussels?

Last edited:
I like store bought smoked/canned oysters. Definitely will try this.

What do you think about using the same method on mussels?
Go for it, you may never buy another can. I may be preaching to the choir, but a word of caution. The oysters will readily take on smoke, so go light. Pressure canning will also intensify the smoke flavor, another reason to go light on the smoke. Water bath is not an option here, so don’t even consider it.

It works well on mussels and clams also.

T

Last edited:
I am not that familiar with the confit method of cooking and preserving. Of course the oysters can and do get consumed on a limited basis prior to canning, but like you, we like what the oil adds to them.

I meant... After you can then...Should one wait a while before consuming them or it makes no difference? There is no improvement with time?

Last edited:
Break up in Canada is during spring time, Thaw / frost comes out of the roads and truck weights are limited, causing road bans. I work in the drilling industry so we are usually shut down for 2-4 months until roads are good and land dries up. They don't want heavy equip. wrecking roads. 

Break up in Canada is during spring time, Thaw / frost comes out of the roads and truck weights are limited, causing road bans. I work in the drilling industry so we are usually shut down for 2-4 months until roads are good and land dries up. They don't want heavy equip. wrecking roads. 
I knew that. Have a friend who worked in this business for a long time.

Probably a stupid question: since there is salt water already in the shell (or in the jar in my case - i get them shucked) aren't they brined already?

Yeah I just reread that comment..... lol Thx Atomic. Yes it is also a great time for my list... But as many married men say... The "honey do list" is also growing...... nutts.... Never enough time....

Probably a stupid question: since there is salt water already in the shell (or in the jar in my case - i get them shucked) aren't they brined already?
Possibly brined, but not cured. Unless consuming fresh, I prefer to cure. It also adds a different flavor.

T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky