Owen's BBQ Ground Formed Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Finally got around to doing this . 12 lbs all pork . I don't fry test much anymore , but this was a new one for me , so I put a patty in the pan . Taste was good . Not like bacon but good . So I'm thinking , needs to be cured and smoked to be bacon . Should be good . Used 3 - 11 x 8 pans . About 2 " deep . Had my hands good and wet and worked it into the pans and smoothed out the top . Not alot of pics on the start of this . I used plastic wrap in all the pans . Held over night , smoked the next day . I was worried about heat flow with the size of these , but worked out great . Bottom finished an hour or so ahead of the other 2 .
MES 30 . Mailbox and Auber controller . 12 " tube with oak / hickory pellets and sugar creek apple wood chips mixed in . Tube burned out at 8 1/2 hours .
Pulled these at 145 . Fry to finish .
This is what I ended up with ,
20190418_171447.jpg 20190418_191147.jpg

Cooled down , had to slice it .
20190418_220019.jpg 20190418_220032.jpg

Next morning got out the slicer
20190419_081222.jpg
Fried some up , and had some breakfast .
20190419_085626.jpg 20190419_090741.jpg
I was shocked and very happy with how good this came out . Everything about it . Taste ,
smell size and shape . So good and worth it . I cooked this in a grill pan . The ridges gave it a nice look I think .
Had a few air pockets in that section , not to bad .
Another great mix from Owens .

Thanks for lookin .

That does look good. Never used pork but tried the bacon mix from Curleys with ground venison. Didn’t care for it when looking for bacon taste. Have to keep this in mind.

Lookin' good chop.It makes great BLT's,I prefer it on sammiches over belly bacon.It bites evenly if cooked to the right time/ temp,which I found there was a learning curve to perfect.It has a narrower window time wise between limp/done and overcooked than belly.

Looks good.
I also like the ground bacon mix.
Thanks bud . I still have the reg. snack stix to do if I can figure the math for a 5lb batch .

That does look good. Never used pork but tried the bacon mix from Curleys with ground venison. Didn’t care for it when looking for bacon taste. Have to keep this in mind.
Buzzy that was the plan . Got a nice buck , but worried about CWD decided not to use it . I know guys that use curleys . I thought it was good . They use venison and add ground up bacon for the fat . I'm sure that helps .

.It makes great BLT's,
I was thinking the same thing . Be doing those in the near future .

Looks simple and tasty. Maybe I don't fully understand how this was prepared. Is it just ground pork with salt and cure, pressed into pans to mold and then removed from pans and smoked the next day?

Looks great Chop. I need to try using all pork.
Thanks . Came out better than I expected . I like the all pork .

Looks simple and tasty. Maybe I don't fully understand how this was prepared. Is it just ground pork with salt and cure, pressed into pans to mold and then removed from pans and smoked the next day?
Made a few things , and this was one of them . This is a mix I bought from Owens BBQ . They have alot of good seasonings . Grind the butts , season and mix . Pack into the pans . I used 11 x 8 x 2 " deep foil pans . Hold over night in the fridge . Turn out of pan the next day and smoke . Fry to finish cooking .

Finally got around to doing this . 12 lbs all pork . I don't fry test much anymore , but this was a new one for me , so I put a patty in the pan . Taste was good . Not like bacon but good . So I'm thinking , needs to be cured and smoked to be bacon . Should be good . Used 3 - 11 x 8 pans . About 2 " deep . Had my hands good and wet and worked it into the pans and smoothed out the top . Not alot of pics on the start of this . I used plastic wrap in all the pans . Held over night , smoked the next day . I was worried about heat flow with the size of these , but worked out great . Bottom finished an hour or so ahead of the other 2 .
MES 30 . Mailbox and Auber controller . 12 " tube with oak / hickory pellets and sugar creek apple wood chips mixed in . Tube burned out at 8 1/2 hours .
Pulled these at 145 . Fry to finish .
This is what I ended up with ,
View attachment 393616 View attachment 393617

Cooled down , had to slice it .
View attachment 393618 View attachment 393619

Next morning got out the slicer
View attachment 393620
Fried some up , and had some breakfast .
View attachment 393621 View attachment 393622
I was shocked and very happy with how good this came out . Everything about it . Taste ,
smell size and shape . So good and worth it . I cooked this in a grill pan . The ridges gave it a nice look I think .
Had a few air pockets in that section , not to bad .
Another great mix from Owens .

Thanks for lookin .
Which mix from Owens BBQ are you using, they have alot on the web site thanks!

Which mix from Owens BBQ are you using, they have alot on the web site thanks!
That was hard to find . Here ya go .
It's the ground formed bacon . Scroll down the page .

Thanks . Came out better than I expected . I like the all pork .

Made a few things , and this was one of them . This is a mix I bought from Owens BBQ . They have alot of good seasonings . Grind the butts , season and mix . Pack into the pans . I used 11 x 8 x 2 " deep foil pans . Hold over night in the fridge . Turn out of pan the next day and smoke . Fry to finish cooking .
I dont understand as to why it has to be fried before eating if its cured. They even state this on the Owens page.
Could it be like a lunch meat if its cooked to a higher temp??

I dont understand as to why it has to be fried before eating if its cured.
I doesn't have to be , that's just how I like it . It was held long enough at 145 to be safe to eat right out of the smoker and I did . I sliced some and dried it into jerky also .
For the loaf you want to do , just do it exactly as you always do . Only difference is you're making it in a pan instead of casing .

Reactions: hondabbq
Thanks Rich...now even your old threads have added to my to try list...:emoji_blush:
Can always use more snacks for long days in the combine!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
Man, how did I miss this the first time around Rich, looks fabulous! This will be something for me to get done when things cool down here in a few months, smoke some cheese too. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
This will be something for me to get done when things cool down here in a few months, smoke some cheese too
I could smoke cheese this morning . Woke up to 40 degrees . Was in the high 90's last week .
I used the mix , but you can do the same with salt and sugar . Cure and some smoke .
Wow Rich! Great idea. Going to have to give that a try. Nice job bud.
Thanks Brian . Most of it I've seen is a venison pork mix . It's a great use for venison .
Be a great snack on the boat .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky