Owen's BBQ Ground Formed Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks great, are you saying that its as close to belly bacon as you can get for processed?
I am looking for another option for my pork buyers
a lot of them are into bacon/sausage more than other cuts

Mike

getting close to processing season

looks great, are you saying that its as close to belly bacon as you can get for processed?
I am looking for another option for my pork buyers
a lot of them are into bacon/sausage more than other cuts
It has great bacon flavor . I know some guys that use venison / pork mix and the seasonings from Curly's . The mix I had was from Owen's BBQ . You could also figure the salt and sugar by weight add the cure and smoke it .
I've had it from a local guy that stuffs it into chubs , but I like it in a slab .
Another thing about it is you can lean it up some if that's wanted .

Reactions: YooperSmoker
I'm glad this thread got resurrected. That ground bacon looks most excellent Rich

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks Great, Chop!!
I used to make this with Beef & Pork, but I think All Pork is better, just like you did it.
Like.

Bear

Chop what was your recipe for this?

Dang just saw you used an Owens mix.
Yup . I used the mix from Owens . I know guys say good things about one from Curly's .
You can also do the salt and sugar by weight . I'm not sure what all is in the mix , but probably not much more than salt and sugar . Maybe some sodium erythorbate .

Finally got around to doing this . 12 lbs all pork . I don't fry test much anymore , but this was a new one for me , so I put a patty in the pan . Taste was good . Not like bacon but good . So I'm thinking , needs to be cured and smoked to be bacon . Should be good . Used 3 - 11 x 8 pans . About 2 " deep . Had my hands good and wet and worked it into the pans and smoothed out the top . Not alot of pics on the start of this . I used plastic wrap in all the pans . Held over night , smoked the next day . I was worried about heat flow with the size of these , but worked out great . Bottom finished an hour or so ahead of the other 2 .
MES 30 . Mailbox and Auber controller . 12 " tube with oak / hickory pellets and sugar creek apple wood chips mixed in . Tube burned out at 8 1/2 hours .
Pulled these at 145 . Fry to finish .
This is what I ended up with ,
View attachment 393616 View attachment 393617

Cooled down , had to slice it .
View attachment 393618 View attachment 393619

Next morning got out the slicer
View attachment 393620
Fried some up , and had some breakfast .
View attachment 393621 View attachment 393622
I was shocked and very happy with how good this came out . Everything about it . Taste ,
smell size and shape . So good and worth it . I cooked this in a grill pan . The ridges gave it a nice look I think .
Had a few air pockets in that section , not to bad .
Another great mix from Owens .

Thanks for lookin .
Sorry if I'm missing this, but what temp did you have your mes30 set at while smoking? Would a low and slow temp be better than a higher temp, just to get more smoke time in? What would be the max temp to smoke them at? Says you pulled them at an IT of 145*, approximately how long did it take to get them to this temp?

what temp did you have your mes30 set at while smoking?
I smoked this the same as I would sausage .
I ran a dry cycle at 120 or so for a couple hours before I started smoke . You want the surface dry before you introduce smoke , or it can have negative effects .
Then I stepped up the temp by 10 degrees for an hour until it reaches 165 .
At that point I let it go until the internal temp is 152 .

However , in this case I pulled at 145 . It was held at that temp long enough to be safe , but I knew I was gonna fry before eating .

Reactions: tbern
I smoked this the same as I would sausage .
I ran a dry cycle at 120 or so for a couple hours before I started smoke . You want the surface dry before you introduce smoke , or it can have negative effects .
Then I stepped up the temp by 10 degrees for an hour until it reaches 165 .
At that point I let it go until the internal temp is 152 .

However , in this case I pulled at 145 . It was held at that temp long enough to be safe , but I knew I was gonna fry before eating .
Thanks for sharing your method, appreciate it!!

Have made this for many yrs, venison and pork combo. Have used both Owen's and Curleys both with great results.
It is good to snack on.

Finally got around to doing this . 12 lbs all pork . I don't fry test much anymore , but this was a new one for me , so I put a patty in the pan . Taste was good . Not like bacon but good . So I'm thinking , needs to be cured and smoked to be bacon . Should be good . Used 3 - 11 x 8 pans . About 2 " deep . Had my hands good and wet and worked it into the pans and smoothed out the top . Not alot of pics on the start of this . I used plastic wrap in all the pans . Held over night , smoked the next day . I was worried about heat flow with the size of these , but worked out great . Bottom finished an hour or so ahead of the other 2 .
MES 30 . Mailbox and Auber controller . 12 " tube with oak / hickory pellets and sugar creek apple wood chips mixed in . Tube burned out at 8 1/2 hours .

View attachment 393620
I was shocked and very happy with how good this came out . Everything about it . Taste ,
smell size and shape . So good and worth it . I cooked this in a grill pan . The ridges gave it a nice look I think .

Thanks for lookin .
That indeed looks yummy !

View attachment 393620

Thanks for lookin .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky