Oversmoking, Weber Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 5, 2018
Elgin SC
So recently I have been trying out a little charcoal smoking, I did a turkey at thanksgiving. The meat was great once you peeled the skin away, it was way too smoky. I cooked the bird at 275 for 4 hours. I was using apple wood chunks. I also grilled some pork tenderloins with the apple wood chunks and it was edible but still real smoky as well and they were only on the grill about 45 mins. I am obviously adding wood chunks to frequent however I only added when they were totally consumed. Any tips for my next attempt???

Two small piles on either side with a drip pan in the middle

I have read about the snake method, may have to try it out.

I have been adding prelit rather than unlit coals and chunks more often of late to avoid white smoke. My family is also not a fan of over smoked poultry especially, so I would try it at more like 325 for turkey and chicken. Your wood choice may also be strong, I use pecan almost exclusively for a milder smoke. Everyone's preference is a little different, you will get it dialed in!

I have been adding prelit rather than unlit coals and chunks more often of late to avoid white smoke. My family is also not a fan of over smoked poultry especially, so I would try it at more like 325 for turkey and chicken. Your wood choice may also be strong, I use pecan almost exclusively for a milder smoke. Everyone's preference is a little different, you will get it dialed in!

I normally use pecan but wood chunks get scarce around here in the winter months. I guess the big box store owners think this is a seasonal thing :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I could only find apple. It may not be the wood for me.

For the turkey I would use charcoal baskets with a chunk or two of mild wood(apple) buried in the baskets and get the heat up over 325*. Have the turkey sit inbetween the baskets and rotate the kettles lid mid cook.

Chris

Reactions: tag0401 and chopsaw
Some great ideas here but you could just cut back on the amount of time using chunks and still continue you cook time. Just my $.02 nothing says you have to have smoke the entire cook time.

Warren

Reactions: tag0401 and chopsaw
Some great ideas here but you could just cut back on the amount of time using chunks and still continue you cook time. Just my $.02 nothing says you have to have smoke the entire cook time.

Warren

I agree with you I think I’m getting more smoke on charcoal that I do in my MES which I add wood until I finish. So I may need to cut back a good bit.

Was the top vent wide open?
It should be to let the stale smoke out!
Al
And yes Al it was wide open on the lid

Yeah, you're loading the bird too soon into bad smoke, and reloading wood too often "when it was consumed." Did you do a whiff test before adding wood? There's a HUGE difference between the smell of white/grey smoke, and a fire that is burning cleanly. I'm not sure what "totally consumed" wood means to you, but if you mean you don't see any smoke, you're wrong. A whiff test will tell your nose there's still wood chunks adding flavor, even if they are totally black and broke down.

Whatever method you use to load your Kettle, don't load the meat until you see hints of blue in the smoke. That might take an hour. If you don't see smoke, but wave your hand through the exhaust and can still smell that perfect smoky flavor you love, don't add wood. You don't have to see smoke to get the flavor you love.

A 4 hour smoke in a Kettle at 275F shouldn't need any additional wood chunks if you started with 2-4 chunks of wood.

My apologies if I'm coming off too abrupt. Having one of those days. I'll delete if asked. Sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're loading the bird too soon into bad smoke, and reloading wood too often "when it was consumed." Did you do a whiff test before adding wood? There's a HUGE difference between the smell of white/grey smoke, and a fire that is burning cleanly. I'm not sure what "totally consumed" wood means to you, but if you mean you don't see any smoke, you're wrong. A whiff test will tell your nose there's still wood chunks adding flavor, even if they are totally black and broke down.

Whatever method you use to load your Kettle, don't load the meat until you see hints of blue in the smoke. That might take an hour. If you don't see smoke, but wave your hand through the exhaust and can still smell that perfect smoky flavor you love, don't add wood. You don't have to see smoke to get the flavor you love.

A 4 hour smoke in a Kettle at 275F shouldn't need any additional wood chunks if you started with 2-4 chunks of wood.

My apologies if I'm coming off too abrupt. Having one of those days. I'll delete if asked. Sorry.

No apologies needed. I need help. Going from doing electric smoking to dealing with coals and fire it’s another ball game. I need the tips. I think what I need to do is give it another shot with less wood added.

If you can work it till you have the thin blue smoke, you won't get the heavy smoke taste. I start my fire with only 1 charcoal chimney full of charcoal then add whatever wood I'm using for that day Oak, Hickory or Wild Cherry. All wood for the remainder of the cook. But it's imperative you have the thin blue smoke going or it's a disaster. I learned the hard way many times. I use an offset stick burner but you can master that on the Weber as well. You can do it!! Good luck.

Reactions: tag0401
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky