Overnight Buttss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
It's been a while since I did an overnight cook. Got my butts prepped, waiting for the pellet pooper to come to temp. Going 200-225 until morning, see where they're at and adjust. No mustard binder, no injection, mixing thing up from my usuasl. ;)

Attachments

• 20210507_215830.jpg
    20210507_215830.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
If the meats moist a binder isn't needed, some folks like a crust of rub so a binder has to be used, not a fan of a crust of rub here just like it with enuf seasonings to get some flavor in them. A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times.

Reactions: forktender
If the meats moist a binder isn't needed, some folks like a crust of rub so a binder has to be used, not a fan of a crust of rub here just like it with enuf seasonings to get some flavor in them. A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times.
" A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times".
That is precisely where finishing sauces shine in my opinion.

Reactions: PPG1
Update: butts are happily smokin away and were joined by some boneless short ribs.

I did have an issue, around 6am my temp alarm went off, temp was low, down to 165. Checked it and my control panel was reading "err" that's not good! Switched off and on - no change! Threw the butts in the oven so I could get to the burn pot, then cycled power once more and it came back to normal. Refired, a bunch of grease started burning off (not big grease fire just a little). I think maybe some grease leaked down and killed my fire since it was burning so low. Oh well, let it burn off and got the meat back on. :emoji_sunglasses:

Attachments

• 20210508_102208.jpg
    20210508_102208.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 53
How did the meat come out?...JJ

Where's the big finish?????????? Did you eat to much and go into a food coma :emoji_laughing: will be watching for the finished pics

Hey All, sorry for the wait. My girlfriend's parents are in town, this cook was for them and we've just been busy busy ;)

Turned out great, went close to 19hrs, but most of the time I ran 200 deg so I expected close to that. Finished with some coleslaw and and my GF made some homemade mac n cheese. Everyone loved chef jimmyj chef jimmyj 's finishing sauce -Lexington dip style, I really like it too.

Attachments

• 20210508_185649.jpg
    20210508_185649.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210508_190108.jpg
    20210508_190108.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210508_191424.jpg
    20210508_191424.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
There it is, what we've been waiting for!!
Looks Awesome!!
I'll bet you were the Hero at that Meal !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks great and I am delighted that all enjoyed the Finishing Sauce. I was happy to share it...JJ

Looks great and I am delighted that all enjoyed the Finishing Sauce. I was happy to share it...JJ
It was great. I usually make a straight vinegar/pepper sauce but thought it might be too harsh for her parents. Her step-dad is a picky eater... well he loved it the most, said he doesn't like thick sweet sauces.... can't figure his tastes out but he's a ggood guy so I'll roll with it.. ;)

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky