• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Overnight Buttss

WaterRat

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 14, 2018
Hey All,
It's been a while since I did an overnight cook. Got my butts prepped, waiting for the pellet pooper to come to temp. Going 200-225 until morning, see where they're at and adjust. No mustard binder, no injection, mixing thing up from my usuasl. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
If the meats moist a binder isn't needed, some folks like a crust of rub so a binder has to be used, not a fan of a crust of rub here just like it with enuf seasonings to get some flavor in them. A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
If the meats moist a binder isn't needed, some folks like a crust of rub so a binder has to be used, not a fan of a crust of rub here just like it with enuf seasonings to get some flavor in them. A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times.
" A little rub after pulling can be better as big butts need help in the center some times".
That is precisely where finishing sauces shine in my opinion.

WaterRat

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 14, 2018
Update: butts are happily smokin away and were joined by some boneless short ribs.

I did have an issue, around 6am my temp alarm went off, temp was low, down to 165. Checked it and my control panel was reading "err" that's not good! Switched off and on - no change! Threw the butts in the oven so I could get to the burn pot, then cycled power once more and it came back to normal. Refired, a bunch of grease started burning off (not big grease fire just a little). I think maybe some grease leaked down and killed my fire since it was burning so low. Oh well, let it burn off and got the meat back on. :emoji_sunglasses:

Attachments

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
They look real good so far!
Al

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looking Tasty, Rat !!!
I'll be back!!

Bear

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
How did the meat come out?...JJ

pineywoods

Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Where's the big finish?????????? Did you eat to much and go into a food coma :emoji_laughing: will be watching for the finished pics

WaterRat

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 14, 2018
Hey All, sorry for the wait. My girlfriend's parents are in town, this cook was for them and we've just been busy busy ;)

Turned out great, went close to 19hrs, but most of the time I ran 200 deg so I expected close to that. Finished with some coleslaw and and my GF made some homemade mac n cheese. Everyone loved chef jimmyj chef jimmyj 's finishing sauce -Lexington dip style, I really like it too.

Attachments

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
There it is, what we've been waiting for!!
Looks Awesome!!
I'll bet you were the Hero at that Meal !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Perfect pork. Big like!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks great and I am delighted that all enjoyed the Finishing Sauce. I was happy to share it...JJ

WaterRat

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 14, 2018
Looks great and I am delighted that all enjoyed the Finishing Sauce. I was happy to share it...JJ
It was great. I usually make a straight vinegar/pepper sauce but thought it might be too harsh for her parents. Her step-dad is a picky eater... well he loved it the most, said he doesn't like thick sweet sauces.... can't figure his tastes out but he's a ggood guy so I'll roll with it.. ;)

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.