• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Overdue Philly Cheesesteaks

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Overdue Philly Cheesesteaks

It’s been too long since We had Cheesesteaks. We’re used to making our own now & then, but we also get them from a few local Bars & Steak Hoagie Joints in the area.
However we haven’t been to a restaurant or gotten any TOGO since the Pandemic started, back about 16 months ago.
So Mrs Bear tore the Chip-steak in pieces, and browned it in a Frying Pan.
I can’t stand on my feet too long, so I took over from there in putting my own together.
I’ll explain what went on from there in the Captions above each Picture below.

Note: I love Fried Onions on my Cheesesteaks, but We had none in stock.

Hope You enjoy the Views!!

Bear

Tallarico's Steak Sandwich Sauce, a pile of Chip Steak, and Some Banana Pepper Rings, on a pair of Small Steak Rolls:
IMG_7078.jpeg

First Night Melted some American Cheese on Top of a couple of small Cheesesteaks, plus a couple Pickle Chips on top:
IMG_7080.jpeg

Tallarico's Steak Sandwich Sauce and a pile of Chip Steak on one Small Steak Roll:
IMG_7081.jpeg

Second Night---Add some shredded Mozzarella & some Pepper Rings:
IMG_7082.jpeg

Melt the Cheese & ready to Eat:
IMG_7083.jpeg

clifish

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 25, 2019
Very nice Bear! Love me some cheese steaks made on the griddle. I just had one at JFK airport on Friday on the way to Raleigh, NC...I am sorry I did, it was nasty!

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice but no onions? Dang better go to the store or get Jr. to do a home delivery.

Warren

idahopz

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 9, 2015
Looks delicious Bear! I haven't done a sammie like that in quite a while. I might need to look through the freezer when I get a chance to see what ingredients I can come up with

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
Looks great, John. Homemade cheesesteaks are always good. I've been thinking of trying one with Swiss. I've had with Provolone in the past, but the Mrs. only likes White American, so I'd have to sneak anything else, lol. Great job.

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sitting John, Like! Don't imagine there was much room left for dessert after finishing those plates. RAY

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Nice looking sammy's. I need to go get some more of that sliced beef you told me about and do some. Thanks for posting.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Nice looking sammies you made Bear. My wife and were just talking about what to have for supper tonight. I'm gonna have to see what the grocer has in stock.

Point for sure
Chris

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Nice looking sammichs. I could put away a couple of those with some steak fries and a cold beer.
Jim

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Good looking sammies, John.
Yeah, its been a while since you posted some of those.
Gary

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2021
LOVE me a Philly. I always liked doing them with the cheapest ground beef (the $3/lb, 73/27 tubes I lovingly refer to as "meat paste") and called them "Sloppy Phil's" until learning that a "chopped cheese" is already a thing in NYC.

I won't turn down one with any cheese, but my favorite by is using "EZ-Cheez" or whatever that spray cheese in a can is called (usually the much cheaper Aldi's knockoff)

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks great John !! I could use one right about now.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks good! Homemade is way better!
Thank You Charlie!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Very nice Bear! Love me some cheese steaks made on the griddle. I just had one at JFK airport on Friday on the way to Raleigh, NC...I am sorry I did, it was nasty!
Thank You clifish!!
I never had one from JFK, but most Bars & Steak Joints within 50 miles of Philly are pretty good.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice but no onions? Dang better go to the store or get Jr. to do a home delivery.

Warren
Thank You Warren!!
He would if I ask him. Our Pick-up day at "Giant" is every other Tuesday Morning.
I would only eat Fried onions on Cheesesteaks & Burgers, so they would spoil, unless I only get one or two at a time.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks delicious Bear! I haven't done a sammie like that in quite a while. I might need to look through the freezer when I get a chance to see what ingredients I can come up with
Thank You PZ !!
And for the Like.

Bear

clifish

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 25, 2019
Thank You Charlie!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thank You clifish!!
I never had one from JFK, but most Bars & Steak Joints within 50 miles of Philly are pretty good.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
Believe me was not my first choice, it was out of desperation. Most of the steak joints around me are pretty good, I just can't stomach the $275++ bill for two that comes with it.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks great, John. Homemade cheesesteaks are always good. I've been thinking of trying one with Swiss. I've had with Provolone in the past, but the Mrs. only likes White American, so I'd have to sneak anything else, lol. Great job.
Thank You Mike!!
My Favorite Cheese on a Cheesesteak is actually Provolone, but like Onions, we don't stock that. I only use Provolone on Cheesesteaks & Cheeseburgers, so it could go bad before it got used up. The only Cheese we stock in our fridge at all times is American & Shredded Mozzarella.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.