Our favorite Hot Italian

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
We were out of Hot Italian and down to one package of Sweet. At GFS last week all they had left was one single pack of shoulder (I'm not really sure what kind of "butt" it was. The labels were contradictory). It was 10.5lbs so even losing the bone I figured I could get 2 -5# batches if I added some rib trimmings from the last St. Louis style I cut to. No way, after the bone and fat were out I only had a little over 6#, so the leftover pieces went on the Weber with some baby backs. I'll have to wait on the Sweet Italian.
IMG_3229.jpg IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3238.jpg

So I ground using the 1/8" plate..
IMG_3232.jpg

The recipe I've been using for the last year or so is:
5# butt
1 cup chopped fresh Parsley (dried smells like grass clippings to me)
5 tsp Morton Kosher salt
5 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp Course Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Cayenne
5 tbsp Fennel Seed
1 tsp Crushed Chili Pepper
5 tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Anise Seed
1 cup Red Wine or Sangria ( I used Zinfandel on this batch )
1 tsp #1 cure

I used to use more Cayenne and Chili Pepper but we got tired of waking up in the middle of the night burning up. It's still hot enough to make your head sweat ;-)
Thought about using a little SPC but decided against it.....

IMG_3231.jpg IMG_3233.jpg

Mixer on High speed
IMG_3234.jpg

Let it coexist overnight
IMG_3237.jpg

Next day time for stuffing!
I like the pre-tubed casings from Syracuse Casing
IMG_3240.jpg

Measuring device
IMG_3241.jpg

I'm a "twister". Just twist it a few times between links. I also stick the ends with a pricker to let air out.
IMG_3242.jpg

And so on until you're done
IMG_3243.jpg

I like to let it air dry for 2 or 3 hrs (hence the cure) and I can check for air pockets. None in this batch.
IMG_3246.jpg

This will sit in the fridge overnight before packaging. I like to get it a little bit frozen before vacuuming so the links don't get squished.
I package it in twos and there were 15 links, so we decided we'd have to try one tonight with leftover ribs. If I think of it I'll get a cut pic.
No promises ;-)
Thanks for looking and keep grinding!
Dan

Very nice Dan . I stuffed some this morning . Recipe about the same as yours . Those are gonna be good . Nice work .

Nice layout on the tread also .

Looks delicious.
Is that the LEM stuffer? Where did you get the suctions cups? Great idea.
What differences do you notice between the overnight 'coexist' and not? What are the benefits?
Thanks

Fine looking sausages! I agree with you on the dried parsley smelling like grass clippings. Fresh is the way to go! Nice post! LIKE!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky