Our favorite BBQ sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tumbleweed1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Chicago suburbs
This is a sauce I've tinkered with for a couple of years & feel that this summer I got it right where we like it. Tangy with just a little sweet & then an even fainter heat on the back end. Of course you can add heat by increasing the chili powder or adding a bit of cayenne, but this is how we like it.

TW

2 cups ketchup
3/4 water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup white vinegar
5 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/3 cup honey

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer for 30 minutes.
Once cool, store in the refrigerator.
Makes 3 1/2 cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjolly
I never make my own sauce. Every flavor has already been commercialized. My favorite off the shelf rub has to be either the shed's sweet heat. Or stubs pecan bourbon (I think it is) on pulled pork. Guy fierri's Carolina #6 with the shed's southern sweet.

Thanks for the recipe, will be trying it out when we run out of our BBQ sauce.

Sounds delicious, i'll have to try it sometime, though i'll prolly substitute molasses for the honey, i like the flavor more, plus i feel like it gives it more depth and body

Please let me know how it turns out for whoever tries it. 
biggrin.gif

TW

Made some today. I usually prefer sweet BBQ sauce but this is Tangy and I kind of like it. Only tried a little with Italian sausage. "I know" .....it was the only thing I had at the moment to try with.

My wife hates vinegar(smell) and says she doesn't like the sauce. We have not been able to get a good taste yet but I can say it does taste different(good). I will be adding it to pulled pork, It should be good.

Will update with the results.

The sauce was OK with pulled pork. The Wife still didn't like it, I thought it was fine. Not what we're used to with the Tangy flavor but not bad for my first attempt at sauce.

Sorry your wife didn't care for it. It's one of the few that me & my wife BOTH like. I'm really into Lexington Dips (especially with pulled pork), but she will put this one on her pork even after I add the dip to the sauce. She doesn't care for the dip. She likes another, heavier, KC-style sauce I make too, but I'm not as big a fan of those as she is. This one kind of meets both our preferences in the middle.

TW

Sorry your wife didn't care for it. It's one of the few that me & my wife BOTH like. I'm really into Lexington Dips (especially with pulled pork), but she will put this one on her pork even after I add the dip to the sauce. She doesn't care for the dip. She likes another, heavier, KC-style sauce I make too, but I'm not as big a fan of those as she is. This one kind of meets both our preferences in the middle.

TW

We both prefer sweet BBQ sauce. This was our first attempt and it went well. It wasn't to her liking but at least she knows it is simple to make. We will try a sweet one next. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky