Our chicken coop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
We needed a larger coop so I decided to build one I wouldn't have to replace because of it being to small for a little while. It took awhile to get it finished because of other things coming up and the fact I'm getting old and can't work like I used to. Of course the coop we were using was where we wanted the new one lol. Ran electric and water to it. Here's some pics

IMG_20210914_125417480_HDR.jpg IMG_20210914_125359381_HDR.jpg IMG_20211002_083500838.jpg IMG_20211108_133101656.jpg IMG_20211002_083451234.jpg IMG_20220302_171324677_HDR.jpg IMG_20220412_185100984_HDR.jpg IMG_20220412_185032901_HDR.jpg IMG_20220417_152628304.jpg IMG_20220417_152634171_HDR.jpg IMG_20220413_131720079_HDR.jpg

Holy crap piney, I think I would call that a lodge not a coop! Them birds will be living in style!

I am going to build a similar cover but it will be filled with smokers.....lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks good Jerry. Glad to see it done.

Thats a nice coop.

I'm fixin to go get another 12 chix

Its looking grim out there. I think if everyone has the room they should raise stock and grow veggys.

Is that roost and yard combined?
Layers only or a few roasters, too?
Being in FL our concern is heat more than cold. On the right is a 10x12 "hen house" which is open on 2 sides. It has nesting boxes on the right side that open from the outside. Above the nesting boxes I have roosts above poop boards that run around 3 sides. To the left of the "hen house" is a 12x20 open on all sides "yard area" and it has roosts and poop boards across 1 end and 1 running about 8' out from the end one that is in the middle of the coop from center. To the left of the "yard area" is a connected but separate 10x12 pen that again has 2 walls for a "hen house" and a "yard area" on the front of 1 of the walls. The "hen house" has roosts and poop boards on 2 sides and nesting boxes below them. At this time we are just going to do layers. The separate coop is mostly to introduce new birds into the flock. I do have it so that if it does get really cold I can attach some Visqueen to the 2 open sides to enclose them and I have power I can use for heat lamps.

Very nice build! What did you put on the ground to keep out digging predators?

We have pretty much all the predators here including the occasional bear so the entire coop and apron area has hardware cloth attached over the wood and then over that is cattle panels stapled on. All the way around the bottom I stapled a piece of about 12" hardware cloth onto the bottom 2x6 and bent it about 90 degrees out so it came out onto the ground all the way around and I used landscape staples to hold it in place until I got it all done. I then rolled out 48" wide hardware cloth flat onto the ground covering the piece sticking out from the coop and again used more landscape staples to hold it in place then I laid 50"x16' cattle panels over the top of the hardware cloth as close to the coop as possible and added more staples. Now everything is covered with hardware cloth and cattle panels from the bottom 2x6 of the coop to at least 48 or 50" all the way around. To hold it all down and make it easy to walk on, mow, etc I covered it with a layer of dirt. The eaves also have hardware cloth stapled so as to enclose them. The ridges of the metal roofing have stainless steel wool stuffed into them to close them up. All the hardware cloth is either 1/4" or 1/2" trying to keep out everything I can. The doors are welded angle with wood attached over it again with hardware cloth and cattle panels.

Thanks for the comments we haven't had chickens all that long but seemed every time I read or heard about people starting into chickens it also was about people making bigger coops constantly. (kind of like us having to keep adding smokers and gear) so figured I'd try to build it once and have it last for a little while. I'm sure I'm not done building coops but hopefully this one will take care of us for awhile before I need to build another. That said I'm already thinking of how to add more "run area" to it we can't let them free range unless we are there baby sitting them just to many predators

Reactions: mike243
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky