"OTBS"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, lets step back and look at this situation, since Lady J is expecting a new baby, that makes her a mother. We could call Jene "Mother Lady J", but then would we have to call Ben (the baby's father) "Father Sir Ben"? We don't have any Forum religion here except for the "Holy Smoke" and the Order doesn't have a Chaplin so we don't really need a Father and if we don't need a "Father", do we really need a "Mother" and for some strange reason the song "I don't want to grow up" from Peter Pan just popped into my mind and-and-I think I'm going into "silliness overload" cuz I got 4 more hours to go until vacation starts! So I think I'll put a Jimmy Buffett CD on and chill!! After all "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" right!!! 8)

This is what makes this forum stand head and shoulders above all the others! We have our sense of responsibility to our passion of smoking but we do not let that get in the way of our need for camaraderie. Humor. friendship and understanding are the building blocks of a great society!

Long Live The Order of the Thin Blue Smoke!

Sir Monty

PS I started vacation yesterday!

I have to say that I got a chuckle about Lady Lady J. Of course I think all of this is a good idea (refering to each other as sir/lady).

All I can say is WOW!!! It was just a question and now look what I started :D
I have to say the Grand Knight thing has to much of a political conotation to it (for what it's worth) so I think we should stick to something more non specific in terms of the political and social stage.
we wouldn't want to give the wrong idea to any one joining the forum.
just my opinion.
The E meritus thing has a kinda ...laid back easy goin ring to it that kinda fits the way I saw Earl .... Kinda fits that easy goin guy in the picture.
Boy do I need a Tea :lol:

Sirs and Lady's (or is it Ladies?),

Anyway..

I don't get in here much due to the huge responsibility of keeping more than 15 websites up and running and researching and writing new pages as well as all of the marketing involved but I just want to say that Earl is well deserving of any and all great titles. He started out as the official Welcome guy, ranked up to Moderator and now has Jr. Admin privileges, proof of his outstanding character and willingness to unselfishly help all that pass this way.

He certainly deserves a grand name such as Grand Knight!

The fact that I do not have to come in often is proof enough of his worth.

I also appreciate our other moderator SoFlaQuer who has been busy lately but has helped a tremendous amount over the past year and will continue, I am sure, to do so as time allows.

These two guys are a tremendous help in the success of this forum and my hat is off to them.

I have purchased 15 GB/month of bandwidth for this forum and last month we almost used all of it! For anyone who knows about that stuff, that is a whole heck of a lot of posting and pictures and just all around having a good time. I will continue to purchase all that is required to keep it going for as long as you guys want it.

We have a grand thing going here and we are growing by leaps and bounds because of the overwhelming willingness to help and the friendships that have developed.. it is all such a beautiful thing!

I have been involved with various forums over the years and I have not seen this kind of camaraderie anywhere else.. we definitely have a unique atmosphere and it is quite contagious.

To all of you that are in here often and continuously being helpful and welcoming, it does not go unnoticed.

Keep up the great work all of you and cheers to the Thin Blue Smoke!

My Dear Brother Chris,

In posting as I have for for the whole knighthood and chivalry theme I have done so without political or other undertone in mind. Here are my thoughts on this idea:

In "Days of Olde" to attain knighthood was the goal of most good persons. This was an earned title and not one given lightly. The person dubbed into knighthood held oneself to the highest standards of society. And the knight was expected to not only champion the weak, the disadvantaged and the frail but also to remain humble and willing to go the extra mile for another's sake and safety.

The same applies most directly to our forum! We are all here to share, teach and encourage others in our quest for the Holy Grail of the Perfect Smoke! We have new and experienced folks arriving daily. And those, such as yourself, who choose to share as willingly and as often as you have not only of your experience and wisdom with food but also of yourself truly are knights in shining armor.

I sincerely hope this helps you and all the other forum members understand the intent behind my posting the idea of the chivalry thing. If enough of you feel it inappropriate I am sure we can backtrack a few steps and make it disappear.

Your Brother in the SMF!
Monty

I did not think of any political agenda behind the post. But he is right. A new joinee, or somebody looking for a BBQ home may get the wrong idea without looking into the names.

I am aware of what is politically correct and what people might think and I am going to make a statement here which is totally my opinion but I hope it clears things up a bit on this Grand Knight thing..

I think if folks that would enter here get the wrong idea and are too shallow to find out what it is about before forming an assumption then maybe this is not the place for them.

We can add a little note to the welcome email that everyone gets when they sign up to explain that it is all in fun and is not meant to have any political or religious agendas or connotations but other than that, I think folks that would think otherwise are just looking for a reason to cause trouble.

I really like the unique atmosphere that has been developed here and the fun and camaraderie we have with the Order of the Thin Blue Smoke has only made things much better.

I vote that we explain ourselves to those entering and leave it at that.. let the Great Order live forever!

If I am taking the wrong attitude about this then the Grand Knight can banish me to the dark forest for a fortnight and I will learn me lesson!
wink.gif
:D

I am in agreement Jeff, a note to explain should work, or they may not be the people you want to let come over to your house and play.

I think it a great honor, to be a member of the OTBS, and am very proud of it.

In my opinion it's looking like a "club" and you have the "Grand Master of the Water Buffalo" as in "The Flintstones". This may scare some people away even if you e-mail them. I know it's all in fun but I think it's sending the wrong message to new users, That being it's a club for a certain group of people that have achieved? I had no idea nor did I notice the "OBTS" in folks profiles until a week or so ago. I remember reading a saying " I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would want me as a member" Anyway, Just my thoughts and I'll continue to share and learn as I go through life.

Hvae Fun,
Joe

Geez, Joe!

I was just about to niominate you for membership in the OTBS! Your posts are informative and helpful as well as freely given. You post some excellent pics and are certainly well advanced in the art of smoking meat.

The big deal here is that you make a difference! You help others understand the finer points of our craft. Your information is delivered in a precise and easily understood manner and you exhibit a humble approach to all others. You stand head and shoulders above most! And you are always willing to jump in with your opinion! Great!

This is what the OTBS is all about. It is a little something in the way of saying THANK YOU! Thank you for being a part of the greater good!

Joe! Please accept my nomination into the Order of the Thin Blue Smoke! You are a plus to this forum and an important part of its success!

Cheers!
Monty

Hey Joe,

I certainly didn't mean to make anyone feel like I was ganging up or trying to be something I wasn't.

I actually assumed that you were a member already.

I always enjoyed your posts and any exchanges you & I had, and I hope I haven't done anything to discourage you on this site.

Joe, first off, the OTBS is not a "club" in any way. Anyone who has an OTBS designation, is someone a new member should not hesitate to PM with any inquiry, "How do I do >>>>"

OTBS means, let me know if you need help. I f I don't know, I know someone that does

OTBS means someone who is dedicated to trying to get the best out of beef, best out of pork, and best out of life, through barbecue\

I second your nomination Monty.

For as I just said, I think Joe has alot to offer, experience wise, and showing his eperience, to anyone new to the site.

So anyone new here, or browsing without signing in, just send a private message to any OTBS person to help you answer any questions you have. No question is to basic!!

I would like to nominate nmayeux for membership in the order. He truely stands for the rules of membership as Bill describes them. if there is a question, and he has knowledge he does not mind sharing, or at least pointing you in the right direction.

Hey Monty, My intension was not to back anyone <or group> into a corner or say what's good or bad for this forum it's been around a lot longer than I have as well as many of the members. I was looking at this from a perspective of new commers checking out this forum. This is without a doubt the BEST place as well as BEST group of folks willing to share thier experience in the art of smoking in an unselfish manner. I was made and feelvery welcome here. The point I was making is that some may perceive the "OTBS" as an elitist group or perhaps a little cliquish? This is just my perception of course. By no means did I intend to step on anyones toes here or make anyone feel uncomfortable and If I did I do apoliolgize for this. I do try to look at things from every perspective and try to keep things in perspective as well. However, after I posted in "OTBS" I had thought that maybe I shouldn't have, but wanted to clear the air a bit. Maybe some will understand the reason I posted this and perhaps some won't. All and all, I know it's all in fun.

Thanks Monty,

Joe

Cajun, I never felt like anyone including yourself was "Ganging up on me", It's hard to express ones perspective in typing, It's expressionless and there is no tone to the typing. Don't take what I posted personal because it wasn't intened in that way and I hope you understand. I concider you as well as others here friends and would break bread with any of you. Somewhere along the line I think some read too much into what I was trying to say. To put it simply, I was expressing an opinion of what others comming here may perceive and that's it. I am not going to leave here nor will I stop posting here. <unless I get kicked off> I'm here like everyone else, to learn and share my experiences in Q'ing as well as other subjects that may come up.

Handshake Cajun,
Joe

Hey Bill, I know it's not a club, But I think I said it all in my above post. I don't want to beat a "dead horse" I'd like to put this behind and move on back to why I joined here. Members here are from all over the place and have differnt experiences using differnt equipment and so on and thier sharing of thier experiences is second to non. I've only been Q'ing for 12 years or so and do so almost every weekend even during the winter I grill in snow stroms because NOTHING compares to the taste of a steak "Porter house" usually <and I live 3 doors down from where the Porter House steak was first cut and got the name> Anyway, The wife and I have parties of 25 to 30 folks atleast 4 times a year if not more and it's always smoked rib's, pulled pork, smoked chicken, dirty rice and so on. I am also here for another reason.. The wife an I are looking into opening a "BBQ and Blues" place. <my wife use to own a recording studio and wants to record the Blues "live" at the new place we open. So, I'm here tweeking and sharing recipes and will continue to do this. I get great joy when someone uses a recipe or taste what I have smoked and the look on thier faces is worth all the hard work. Like I said "I'm not leaving, I'll continue to share and learn.. I use to think I knew everything until I had my own kids.. kidding .. there is still plenty to learn and experience yet.

Handshake to you also Bill,

Joe

PS: I forgot to shake Monty's hand also so here ya go Monty.

PSS I"ll be in Canada next week for the Jazz fest in Montreal.<until next tuesday> just incase ya think I took off.

Never doubted your intentions for a minute, Joe! Blues'n Que! WOW! Best of luck to you and your wife on that one! Enjoy your trip to Montreal!
Great place. I get up there once in a while. I live about a fifteen minute drive from the Canadian border.

I felt the warmth and sincerety in that handshake am sending the same back at ya!

Cheers!
Monty

You are absolutely correct Joe. It is so hard to express emotions online, and very easy to read things the wrong way. I have posted things and come back later and deleted them because on the second reading it sounded totally different than what I meant.

I also feel like everyone here is "Family" and I just hate to see feathers getting ruffled.

Handshake Joe,

Rodger

Monty, We'll be going right up rte 89 .. nice country Vermont, Vey pretty State.

Cajun, After I posted I was going to take it back but ... what can I say.. We are like family here .. one person leans on another and help bring up the young ones .. lol .. Thnanks Both for understanding.. I also dislike ruffled feathers..

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky