Opinion on Pitmasters?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My two cents.

I love BBQ, if I was going to produce a BBQ show it would be very different than this show. However, it is the only BBQ show that I know of and I will keep watching it, if for no other reason than just to support the ratings of a show about BBQ so that maybe oneday in the future other shows about BBQ may come about.

On a side note, a couple months back the history channel did a show about the history of BBQ. That show was outstanding! But is was just a one time thing. Keep an eye out for a re-air of that.

Just go ahead and hang me . I like the show as it beats the heck out no pitmasters show at all .If you dislike the show why watch it and why gripe about the show like a bunch of old women ( sorry ladies ). It is what it is , a production to make money.

I have only watched 2 shows and it turned me right off first with myron or moron and his I better then God attitude. He is not the reason for the pig being created. Now the rest seem desent and alright I guess but and I know it wouldn't be as good to the non smokers out there in TV land. So I guess you need contraversy and some really ugly language for it all to seem like these guys hate each other and i'm sure that they maybe aren't the best of friends but they I'm sure are kinda nice to each other when to camera are off.

I do NOT let my 12 year old watch it due to the cussing . I agreee they could do the same show without cussing . I tape them and watch after she is in bed.

Well damn, ya know damn he's the best damn pitmaster in the damn whole damn show damned it
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

That is just how silly and ignorant he sounds.

I agree to some extent with BBALLY. Believe me, I know from experience that when FoodTV (HighNoon) is producing a show they do their homework. You have to fill out a questionnaire and they'll home in on key aspects of the answers you submitted. (I've been on twice though not for BBQ).

Their stategy for producing something worth watching is to find the most colorful 5 to 7 people in the following format:

1) The guy that has won the most (Myron)
2) The guy that has won the second most (Chris Lily)
3) The underdog that won a little bit (Cool Smoke)
4) The girl that won in the past - (Lee Ann)
5) The Greenhorn or youngest competitor.

If they like your questionairre they'll call you ahead of time and produce notes for the writers. They will then try to pit you against each other by asking you "Who do you think is your greatest competition and why?". They then get a couple of interviews with those they selected before, during and after the event. It's a TV production!

Consider this though ~ If they didn't do this would the general public watch? 97% of a BBQ contest is setting up, meat prep, starting the fire, stoking the fire, sitting around drinking beer, finishing, presentation, awards and breaking down. It only gets exciting at about 11:30 when chicken is coming off. Other then that it's just a bunch of smelly, beer drinking folks having a good time.

(Keep in mind - I think I'm qualified to say this as we pulled into 8 KCBS comps in 2009 and catered 4 events so I'm not just blowing smoke)

Overall though, I find the show very educational. I've paid somewhere in the order of $1000 in BBQ classes taught by the very best teams in New England (Jack and AR winners) and still found information in it that I can use:

- Muffin Tins for thighs.
- Different cuts of chicken for the same box.
- 350 degrees on a cook???
- Blue K and Lighter fluid???
- Using propane for sauce warming (can't use it on meat though)

I just hope they are successful and look forward to another season.

-rob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky