oops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voodoochile

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Brownstown ILL
I am making a 10 lb batch of deer "trail bologna" ( its like a salami) today and when I was mixing the meat and spice mix (LEM) I remembered I have a bag of "soybean protein powder " which is supposed to help salamis remain plump and reduce shrinkage during the smoking process. I havent been using it for the last couple of years  but decided since I already have it I may as well use it . 

Anyway the label says 2 tsp per pound of meat . I read it as 2 tbsp per pound of meat which means I used about 3 times the recommended amount . Did I ruin my sausage ? 

I'm thinking it will be ok since it really has little flavor but it may change the texture . Anyone have an opinion or experience with this ?

My "opinion" is it sounds like it may just change the texture a bit...if it was garlic powder or something then i would wonder...i wouldnt worry...Ill eat it!

Joe

Was the soybean powder fine or coarse... did you add it dry or wet....If it was coarse and you added it dry your sausage may come out with a grainy texture...  You don't want the protein to clump up....

its a powder and I added it dry to the freshly ground meat . it mixed well and then I added the spice mix dissolved in 1 pt of ice water . everything mixed up nicely .

I always mix my spices in ice water before adding to the meat .

Well, for one thing, you should have a moist sausage!

The SPP may change the texture, but you shouldn't notice much of a flavor difference if any.  The big question I have, is how do you "finish" this sausage?  Does it dry and ferment, smoke, poach, etc...  That may make a difference since moisture content will be a bit higher than normal since you added a bit too much.

Also, this is a perfect example of why I went to weighing all of my ingredients in grams and/or kilograms.  ALL of us have or WILL misinterpret tsp for tbsp at some point...

Charlie

Voodoo, the only question i have is the condition of the powder.  After 2 years storage it can still be good unless some moisture got in the container you have creating some lumps.  Then the quality of the powder would be to a point that i wouldn't use it.  I use dry'd powdered milk and it has a 2 year code date, but i dont know much about the soy protein's powder shelf life. Reinhard

well the verdict is in ....... its out of the smoker ..... cooled and chill in the fridge for a few hours  .......... and it is delicious !!!! ............... I cant really see any difference in flavor or texture ..............
th_anim_burp.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky