1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Oops! To much tender quick!

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by Pat Shriver, Dec 11, 2018.

1. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Potatoes do work soaking up salt.

2. mski2

mski2 Fire Starter

Not according to the FDA , remember the 70's

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The USDA banned the use of Nitrate in Bacon because, according to, which study you believe, Nitrate can be converted to Nitrosamine in the stomach, which may or may not be a " possible " link to causing cancer when bacon is cooked over high heat and well done, crispy. TQ contains a small percentage of Nitrate along with the Nitrite used exclusively in Cure #1.
    There is a lot of " May or May Not and Possible Link " found with many other study inconsistencies here, just like with Eggs raising Cholesterol and MSG causing everything for a Head Ache to Birth Defects. Regardless, it Has been 100% Proven that an Antioxidant like Citric Acid in Orange Juice and other fruit. Eliminates any nitrosamine issues. So Slow Cook your TQ cured Bacon or drink some OJ with Bacon and Eggs or have a side of Blueberry Pancakes and don't worry about the tiny amount of Nitrate in Tender Quick...JJ

chopsaw and daveomak like this.
  4. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

In honor of the 70's forgo the O.J. and fix up a pitcher of:

Tang.jpg

5. mski2

mski2 Fire Starter

Go for it !

6. mski2

mski2 Fire Starter

I still drink it sometimes , just cant find Malt O Meal

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You could skip the Tangy or OJ and take your CHOCKS...JJ

8. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Then don't use it.
    It's your choice.

Bear

SonnyE likes this.
  9. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I’m a Sunny Delight man myself. Also like it mixed with Vodka for a low class screwdriver.