Oops! To much tender quick!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pat Shriver

Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
I accidentally used a full cup of tenderquick instead of a 1/2 cup for my 10 lb pork belly. I assume it will be too salty. Can I just soak in longer at the end of the curing period to lessen the saltiness? Can I shorten the curing period? Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

no I used TQ, brown sugar and pepper. Bagged it and will turn it over everyday.

Don't know Pat, I use the other stuff Prague Powder. :confused:o_O
But I believe Tender Quick is more forgiving. Tomorrow there will be more Tender Quick guys around and hopefully they can advise.
I'll drop a line to Bear Carver to give him a heads-up/lead to your post, I know he uses Tender Quick.
Meanwhile, keep your slabs cool and cure on!

Worst case, you might have 10 pounds of great salty bacon for beans.
You've got a hundred pounds of Pinto Beans there don't you?

How many days of curing so far?

Last edited:
I accidentally used a full cup of tenderquick instead of a 1/2 cup for my 10 lb pork belly. I assume it will be too salty. Can I just soak in longer at the end of the curing period to lessen the saltiness? Can I shorten the curing period? Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

When did you start this?
Richie

Thanks. I soaked and rinsed it and started over. It was only in the bags 8 hrs with the wrong mixture.

I think you did as good as could be done, by stopping, pulling, rinsing, and soaking & starting over.
Do the rest like it should be done.

Then after curing, soak it for a couple hours.
Then cut a couple slices in the middle of the thickest piece & check to make sure it's pink all the way to center.
Then fry those slices & see how salty it is.
If it's too salty, soak again in cold water, & keep soaking until the salt isn't too bad.
When the salt flavor isn't too bad, it should be OK for consumption.
Note: They tell me sliced up raw potatoes in the water helps draw out the salt.

Bear

FWIW.... when adding TQ in recommended amounts, 1/2 oz per pound, you are adding 3.1% salt to the meat... and the nitrite is ~154 Ppm...
If you use cure#1, Prague Powder etc. the salt is adjustable.... You can mix the cure#1 with a weighed amount of salt, and add it to the meat and no soaking necessary... You add the exact amount of salt you prefer...

FWIW.... when adding TQ in recommended amounts, 1/2 oz per pound, you are adding 3.1% salt to the meat... and the nitrite is ~154 Ppm...
If you use cure#1, Prague Powder etc. the salt is adjustable.... You can mix the cure#1 with a weighed amount of salt, and add it to the meat and no soaking necessary... You add the exact amount of salt you prefer...

No soaking necessary with TQ either if you don't double the amount required.

Bear

Glad to see crisis averted!

Read enough times to know some people refuse to get help and try to eat what can be dangerous to eat !

Some of us fine 3% salt a bit too much....

Yup, and the only time in 9 years I had to actually soak my Bacon to get rid of extra salt, was when I use Cure #1.
The packet that came with High Mountain Cure & Seasoning, and I followed their directions.

That's not to say that being able to adjust your salt, by using Cure #1, instead of the set amount in TQ, isn't a good thing.

However I'm not the only one who eats my Bacon, and Mrs Bear, Bear Jr, a few other Family & friends say it's not too salty, so it's not just my tolerance. And a Whole lot of SMF peeps seem to like my Step by Step.

Bear

Reactions: hoity toit

What did you or do you do for a living may I ask? My guess is a professor in math or science.

I think you did as good as could be done, by stopping, pulling, rinsing, and soaking & starting over.
Do the rest like it should be done.

Then after curing, soak it for a couple hours.
Then cut a couple slices in the middle of the thickest piece & check to make sure it's pink all the way to center.
Then fry those slices & see how salty it is.
If it's too salty, soak again in cold water, & keep soaking until the salt isn't too bad.
When the salt flavor isn't too bad, it should be OK for consumption.
Note: They tell me sliced up raw potatoes in the water helps draw out the salt.

Bear
Potatoes do work soaking up salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky