One skillet egg sandwhich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
We make this quite often when camping. Really pretty simple. I like to use cast iron.

Over low to medium low heat, heat up your pan. Make sure it is fully heated before adding anything. While the pan is heating up get your food prep done.

2 eggs beaten
2 slices of bread
1-2 tablespoons butter (and/or spray Pam)
grated cheese 1/4-1/2 cup (your favorite flavor)
What ever type of precooked protein you want (I used bacon for this one. I actually like this with cooked shrimp or cooked dungeness crab)
Whatever veggies you like (i used spinach. Normally I'd put in tomatoes but we didn't have any)
Salt and pepper to taste
Some other things you can add: mustard, salsa, fresh herbs, nut meg, etc.

Once your pan is heated add you fat of choice. I used 2 tablespoons of butter. Let it melt good.
Pour in your beaten eggs, immediately place sliced bread into the pan.
Cook until eggs are fairly set.
Flip eggs and bread. This can be tricky I like to get the spatula under both pieces of toast and flip. Sometimes with my other hand I will assist.
Add toppings then fold the side wings of the egg on top. Allow to cook until bread is toasted golden brown.
Fold in half and serve.

49379301792_1bcf76f3a3_c.jpg

After I took this photo I scraped the loose uncooked egg into the pan area that was not covered in egg.

49379103116_18f921cf4b_c.jpg

All topped up and ready to fold in half.

49379299987_fc78f05e53_c.jpg

Sliced and served.

Very creative! I think that is one of the most impressive techniques I have ever seen...JJ

Very creative! I think that is one of the most impressive techniques I have ever seen...JJ

I dont remeber where I learned it. Been doing it for years. Nice that it toasts the bread and cooks the egg at the same time. The most difficult part is the first flip.

I agree with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj . That's impressive. I was excited the first time I flipped an egg only using a swift motion of the pan. I popped a lot of yolks before I mastered that. Lol. Now I'm gonna have to try this out. Sure would make for easy clean up. LIKE!

I agree with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj . That's impressive. I was excited the first time I flipped an egg only using a swift motion of the pan. I popped a lot of yolks before I mastered that. Lol. Now I'm gonna have to try this out. Sure would make for easy clean up. LIKE!

I still break eggs when flipping with the pan. I used to have it down pretty good until we switched back to cast iron. Must be the weight of the pan. I should’ve tried with this but I didn’t want bread and egg flying in ever direction,

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Forgot to mention that this method works great on a flat top if you need to make a bunch of sandwiches. Low heat on the griddle and works good to have someone tossing bread on as you pour out the eggs. On the Blackstone 22” last camp trip we made 6 at a time!

Looks real good. I haven't gotten the seasoning in my skillets good enough for eggs yet, either that or I'm not letting it get hot enough before adding the eggs. Mine always seem to stick.

Looks real good. I haven't gotten the seasoning in my skillets good enough for eggs yet, either that or I'm not letting it get hot enough before adding the eggs. Mine always seem to stick.

lower heat works best for me. On my crappy electric stove top I run on 3. On my 1962 Coleman White gas Stove I run the burner as low as I can. Preheat the pan. It takes a good 10 minutes. Then add your fat of choice. I usually hit with Pam then 1-2 tablespoon of butter. Add your eggs. If heated like this the eggs will start to bubble quickly, which is a good sign, it means they aren’t sticking. Same goes for griddle or flat top cooking. Lower consistent heat is best. I’m this pan I can slide eggs around easily, but if you do it too soon they may stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: yankee2bbq
Man just love the one dish creativity of those! They look amazing and cast iron is the way to go for sure. BIG LIKES!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky