Omaha Steaks On the Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Omaha Steaks were the order of the day for dinner.
One of my SiLs is here for Thanksgiving and to take my wife-n-kids to the Mouse's House.
She brought several boxes of OS bacon wrapped Filet Mignon and Top Sirloin with her and told me too cook'em up.
You betcha Sis, can do, dinner will be at 1700hrs.

Menu
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon / Top Sirloin
Roasted Red Potatoes with Onion, Garlic and Rosemary
Spring Greens Salad

The Steaks

Seasoned with SPOG and grilled over high heat

DoSVsnl.jpg

y3L5yvV.jpg

1CQDTqh.jpg

The Taters
Chopped Red Potatoes
Chopped Onions
Minced Garlic
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Crushed Rosemary, Cilantro and Chive Flakes

Preheat oven to 425°
Combine all ingredients in a big Ziploc, mix to coat well
Dump in a big casserole dish and roast for 30 minutes, stir well and roast another 15 minutes
Set Broiler to high and finish for 5-10 minutes to get some nice color on them

Dj2aJdS.jpg

dZMAb6F.jpg

The Money Shot

rQi9wcl.jpg

Omaha Steaks Review
Do not buy the hype, these are small cuts of incredibly lean, over trimmed and over graded steaks.
Select grade at best, for what these cost you can buy some nice Choice or even Prime at the local grocers meat counter.
The Filet Mignon were okay, the Top Sirloin was mediocre at best.
I wouldn't spend my money on it.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to re-read the end of the OP's post about Omaha steaks ("Omaha Steaks Review").

Here is my review: I will eat anything, including stuff that has mold on it (I scrape it off); things that have fallen on the floor (or the ground outside); stuff that is months old, etc.

However ...

Someone gave me some of these Omaha steaks and, the first one was so AWFUL that when it came time, a few days later, to cook the other one, I threw it out instead. I'm not sure I have ever thrown out a piece of meat.

I have no idea why these have the reputation that they do. Chilerelleno's review ("these are small cuts of incredibly lean, over trimmed and over graded steaks. Select grade at best ...") is dead-on accurate, except that he fails to mention that they don't taste anything like beef or, for that matter, any grade or any cut of meat that I've ever had. I'd rather eat liver (which I hate) than one of these steaks.

Yeah, Omaha Steaks are a gimmick. They don't state the grade, other than their own silly trademarked grade names. Many years ago I ordered some for my mom and dad. When they got them they called me to tell me how much they enjoyed them. They were either being nice, but more likely did not know any better, so I placed a few more orders for them over the years. When we visited them they cooked a few fillets for us - they are basically supermarket select, except you'll pay about $30 per pound plus shipping. They had some ribeye and t-bones that were thin and had no marbling. Crazy.
Oh, and they call you and nag you to buy more until you tell them to just stop - that tells you something right there about the quality.

I have only had the Filet and it was good ( I must have been lucky)
Richie
Thanks for the review

Well, even if you thought they were mediocre to fair only, they still look darned good.
I've tried store bought bacon wrapped sirloin steaks (Costco) and I agree--convenient but small with great variation in quality.
Gary
We've always had really nice meats at our local Costco.
I'd rather buy meats there than anywhere else, I only buy elsewhere for certain cuts they don't carry.
I'm gonna buy some real Filets and see if she notices the difference.

We've always had really nice meats at our local Costco.
I'd rather buy meats there than anywhere else.
Me too!

Costco meats are pretty amazing. Even without their often astounding pricing, the quality is just flat out fantastic. I live in Carmel, CA where we have butchers who cater to some of the "high end" crowd that lives over in Pebble beach. Those specialty butchers sell great stuff, and their meats are probably a little better than the Costco equivalent, but the increment, if it exists at all, is so minor that it cannot justify the double (or more) price they charge.

What's even more amazing about Costco, when it comes to things we talk about on this site, is how perfectly their offerings match what I want to do with my smoker. Pulled pork? They have beautifully trimmed boneless pork butt, two to a bag. Tri-tip? They have it in both choice and prime (prime trip-tip? who knew ...). Time to smoke some salmon? They have nice-sized fillets, although I wish they had some that were more uniform thickness, although that's a nit. Pork spareribs? They have several varieties, and their St. Louis cut are wonderful and very meaty.

Everything in this world eventually goes away or changes, so with that in mind, I hope Costco continues to offer the same kind of meat quality and price for a long, long time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky