Olive Loaf... Facing a childhood fear...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
So when I was a kid, I would always cringe when my dad ordered olive loaf at the deli. Two things I wasnt fond of smushed into one strange looking cold cut. But as I've gotten older I enjoy retrying things I didn't like as a kid. In the last year or so I've taken to pimento stuffed olives. Love them in everything. Haven't really had Bologna in a while but I figured I'd give it a whirl as I'm trying to clear out some of the meat in my freezer. used Len Poli's recipe with a few omissions (specifically the sodium phosphates).

Ground 3 lbs of pork cushion and 2 lbs of 85/15 ground beef through the finest plate of my grinder.
Created a spice slurry with some cold water

Mixed the spices into the meat throughly
Drained the olives and then folded them in.

Stuffed them into non edible fibrous casings.

Threw them into the smoker to dry at around 120 for about an hour and a half.

Started the AMNPS at about 11:30 PM as I was going to let these smoke/cook through the night. This is where things went wrong. When I woke up in the morning and went out to check on my beautifully smoked olive loaf, I found out that the AMNPS went out. No harm no foul i guess because Len Poli's recipe doesn't call for it to be smoker (but I couldn't help myself).

Much to my surprise and delight the two chubs that were in the smoker for about 12 hours at about 160 degrees were both temping around 145 IT so only a few degrees left to go.

Pulled at 152

They went into the fridge for a few days before I sliced them up and sampled them today.

The verdict:

It's delicious! Damn picky eating kid I was. Kind of makes me think that I can't get frustrated with my daughters picky eating. I have to admit I was a little put off by the strong oniony smell emanating from it in fridge (the recipe had a good deal of onion powder in it) but it tastes great! The brinyness of the olives is just great. I was happy with the texture even though it's supposed to be emulsified (hey, I'm lazy, fine ground will have to do). Overall a good experiment that I will enjoy and of course, gotta give a bunch to the man who made me fear it so much back in the day. And of course eat crow, and admit he was right about Olive Loaf all along. Thanks for looking.

-Chris

Last edited:
Looks good. I was in the same boat. Hated Olive anything as a kid and now love olives and enjoy olive loaf...JJ

I hate olives but that looks great. Might make some for the wife.

Last edited:
I like it now, but like you, not a fan as a kid!

I'm digging the look of that mix, I think I'd prefer the fine grind over the emulsified.

Chris that looks great love olive loaf. points

Richie

points.gif

That's a good looking olive loaf Chris!

I liked it as a kid & I still like it now!

Point!

Al

I like it now, but like you, not a fan as a kid!

I'm digging the look of that mix, I think I'd prefer the fine grind over the emulsified.
hahah yeah the emulsified is just too fussy for me, one more step and more dishes to clean so i just ground once with the fine plate.

WT, excellent job on the sausage,it looks delicious!
Thanks so much!  It was pretty good.  Like always, I ate about a pound of it while slicing....for quality control purposes...

Chris that looks great love olive loaf. points

Richie

points.gif
Thanks for the points Richie!  I used your post on Olive Loaf as a guide!

That's a good looking olive loaf Chris!

I liked it as a kid & I still like it now!

Point!

Al
Thanks so much for the points Al!  I am always trying to like things I didn't like as a kid.  Not sure what's next.  Think I need to tackle more seafood!  Wouldn't touch it as a kid but now my horizons are expanding, as well as my gut! haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky