Olive and Pimento loaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Last time I ground up some pork butts , I saved some unseasoned grind in 2 1/2 pound batches . I really like the use I get from doing the lunch meat type stuff . I've never had Olive loaf , mostly because I don't like olives . Figured I'd give it a try . I used the same base spice that I did for the Pickle loaf I did awhile back . Mortadella Deutsch from Marianski's site . Added to the ginger and white pepper and the correct amount of sodium erythorbate to set and hold the color .
Meat was already ground up , so I thawed mixed and put it in a loaf pan for an overnight in the fridge . No equipment to clean up .
Next day I set up the SV to cook at 145 . I use a sheet pan storage rack to hold the meat in my SV container .
Out of the fridge , removed from the pan . I leave the plastic wrap on it .
20230209_071900.jpg
In the rack . I stretch rubber bands across to keep stuff from floating up .
20230209_083400.jpg
I put the loaf in when the water was 120 . My time starts when the water reaches
145 . I go by the chart for the thickness / slab shape .
20230209_083541.jpg
Chart called for 3 1/4 hours at 145 starting meat temp at 41 degrees .
So I didn't count the first hour , then held at 145 water temp for 5 hours .
Pulled and took it's temp just to be safe . 143.6 . Perfect .
Not much liquid in the bag . Really nothing to speak of .
20230209_142730.jpg
Cooled down and cut out of the bag and dried off .
20230209_144834.jpg
Still warm , but I had to look . Not a real good section , but should
get better as I slice . It will be better when It completely cools ,
but this is good stuff .
20230209_145007.jpg
Got out the slicer this morning and sliced up one half .
20230210_071530.jpg
The flavor of the Mortadella is really good . I didn't dehydrate the olives ,
or even dry them off . Straight from the jar . I had planned on dusting them with
some NFDM . but forgot . Some fell out , but most of them stayed put .
Makes a great sandwich . Should get better as it sits .
Thanks for lookin .

I love olive loaf too. Never had anything homebrew like yours; I can only imagine the flavor!
Thinking of making my own by pressing some green olives into cheap bologna and re-slicing it...it pains me to see the premium price the grocery stores get for very mediocre olive loaf.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks really good from up here. Nice Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I love olive loaf too. Never had anything homebrew like yours; I can only imagine the flavor!
Thank you .
Thinking of making my own by pressing some green olives into cheap bologna and re-slicing
I have seen people do that . Cut a cross the depth of the olives and push them in . Only do what you can eat , I wouldn't leave it sit like that to long .

Reactions: bill1
  • Haha
Reactions: motocrash
Thanks neighbor . The lunch meat stuff is addicting , and you get a lot of use from it .

Yeah they do ,,,, price . Lol . My Son works at the 79 crossing store .

Tell me about it! That's why I'm starting to make my own. It's still an investment (money and time) but I enjoy it, and know what's in it. I pack sandwiches for work, and am spending north of $18 a week just on lunch meat. Am I a cheap donkey for making my own? Don't care! I've been researching using transglutaminase to form larger format cuts for smoking/sous vide'ing into lunch meat. Ham, particularly... I just need to get the right sugar/honey and spice brine recipe, then I'll be off to the races.

Ham, particularly.
Look at the ham injection that Dave came up with . I use it with loins and butts . Gordons food service on mid rivers sell pork cushion that makes a great ham or roast pork lunch meat .
I did several not to long ago . These are pork cushions .
1676209135378.jpeg
1676209169774.jpeg
I also use 80mm water proof casings for SV only ( no smoke ) type stuff .
This is Cotto salami .
1676209362046.jpeg
1676209398080.jpeg

Nice looking olive loaf chop. I still got one in the freezer. Saving it for a rainy day.
People had the same reaction when they tried it. Said I don't like olives then they said this is good stuff. I guess the mix of the "Meat, spices and olive combination makes it for a really tasty treat. I got good results dehydrating but next time I need to double the number of olives. Your loaf looks great!

Nice looking olive loaf chop. I still got one in the freezer
Thanks bud . Yup , your thread pushed me in the direction of the olives . You don't really taste them in there . I was wondering how it would freeze . I'm going to do the other half .
don't like olives then they said this is good stuff
Yup . You don't really taste the olives in my opinion . More for show .
The spice profile and the pimentos carry the flavor . Makes a great sandwich , if I get that far . Hard to not eat your fill right out of the bag .

Reactions: boykjo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky