Old starter, poor technique, but DELICIOUS Sourdough failure!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BTW, that focaccia turned out making fantastic sandwiches. It was on the verge of being too cakey, but a night in the fridge fixed the issue. My wife raved about the flavor in the focaccia, which was just EVOO, Italian seasoning, and a little salt. Then I built an Italian Dagwood with a little EVOO, balsamic vinegar, homemade pickled Red onions, pepperjack cheese, storebought sliced corned beef, turkey, uncured ham, salami, tomato, and lettuce. I usually add marinated roasted red peppers but didn't get them done. I also usually add fresh mozzarella and provolone instead of pepperjack, but didn't have those on hand. It's the kind of sandwich you have to squeeze to get in you mouth!

Reactions: SmokyMose
Great info, Dan! Thanks for posting that process.

Mose, I've seen YouTube videos where people make savory pancakes with the discards using green onions. I haven't tried it, but that's what I'd do.
Yeah, the book has recipes for crackers, banana bread and waffles.
I may try one. It just seems a shame to toss it after all the time (and flour) invested.

It's best to spread it out thinly onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Then place it in the oven with just the oven light on for a few days to dry it out. Once it's dry crumble it up and store it in a zippy bag in the freezer.
It will literally last for ever. And it makes it easy to send to friends and family. I call the dried stuff my rescue starter.
If anything ever happens to my starter I just add a teaspoon of the dried starter intoa mixture of flour and H2o and it's ready to use in 2 to 4 days of feeding.
Another question if noboundaries doesn't mind.
As you know this stuff is sticky as all get out.
How do you spread it out thin? Lightly floured board? Wet hands?

Reactions: noboundaries
Another question if noboundaries doesn't mind.
As you know this stuff is sticky as all get out.
How do you spread it out thin? Lightly floured board? Wet hands?
Mix some water into it until its thinner than pancake batter, then pour it into one big blob in the center of the cookie sheet and tap the pan on the counter until it spreads out. It doen't have to be perfect, it will just take an extra day or two too dry out 100%. Just be sure that nobody turns the oven on while it's drying in there. LOL, I've done it myself once.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky