Old Country Wrangler- Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My briskets are getting hard on the bottom and my temps fluctuate DRASTICALLY. I haven’t tried keeping the fb door open so I will definitely do that next time. I also took the fb grate and flipped it upside down to make a tuning plate. It’s right up against the damper that’s already in the cook chamber, should i move it out a little bit to where there’s a small gap? Also, how many splits are y’all typically burning before you have a good enough coal bed to maintain splits?

I know its an old thread but I just bought an Old Country Wrangler there is lots of great info in this thread. Its a great little smoker but I have some tuning plate work to do similar to big swole's last post above from 2016! I am having a few 1/8" plates cut and will go from there.

Brisket smoke this past weekend on my Old Country Wrangler. When I smoke a brisket, I usually get up at 4:00 and have it on the smoker by 5:00, because you just never know how long a brisket might take. According to "the stall" and your smoking temp it could be anywhere from 6 to 12, even 14 hours. And, even though I learned a long time ago to smoke brisket at about 275*, instead of lower temps, you still never know. And, as with the beef ribs above, I use Kosher salt and course ground black pepper for seasoning.

This is the fatty side, and will go up in the smoker.

And, the bottom:

Just put it on the smoker, about 5:00am:

Smoker temp holding at 275*.

After 2 hours, we have an internal temp of 148*.

After 5 hours, we have an internal temp of 175*...it went right on through the stall, and is looking great! If it sits on 160* to 170* for an hour or so, I go ahead and take it off and wrap it, and maybe even crank up my smoker to 300*, just to get it through the stall. But, sometimes, like this one, it will go right on through it.

So, I take it off, wrap it in foil or butcher paper and put it back on until it's done. This time I used foil. You can see I had a small water pan in there as well.

After 3 more hours, we're at 205* internal temp, and it "feels" good. Very loose and pliable in the foil. I keep it in the foil, and set the pan and all in an ice chest, to rest, until we're ready to eat. You should always let a brisket "rest" for at least an hour or so, to release its juices. I actually let this one rest in the ice chest for 4 hours. And, when I took it out to cut, it was still so hot that I had to use my insulated food gloves to hold it.

Very tender, very juicy...perfect taste with the salt and pepper only. It sliced like butter.

I always ask when carving, lean or fatty. It seems all the women will say "lean", which I definitely don't mind. They can have all the flat they want. I always want the point...where all the marbled fat is located. So, brisket, potatoes, and beans. I don't know about the flat, but the point was so tender and juicy, it almost chewed itself.

I realize this is an old post but my God that brisket looks perfect.

Watched a string of Arron Franklin vids (he actually has an Old Country Wrangler that he used in his vids) and I smoked my first 7-1/2-lb prime brisket point.

It came out so good that I am chalking it up to pure dumb luck.

All I did to my smoker was buy a 1/8" steel plate 14"x20" and placed it in the smoker with about a 1/4" gap between the plate and the baffle and the temps were even across the cooking area. I burned a hot fire with very little blue or almost no smoke and maintained 225 to 250-degrees for the duration of the cook.

Its a great smoker.

Can't wait to try again!

Reactions: 912smoker
I had my Old Country for quite a few years before upgrading to a larger reverse flow. The tuning plates are a must have in the OC. I also recommend sealing the Doors to the fire box and cooking chamber, the final mod that I recommend is a coal/wood box insert and raise it to allow the ash to fall through. I made mind using some heavy gage expanded metal and bent into a box. This held the coals together and allowed for easier to control fire. I did at add a pit viper and guru control so that I could run all night with only having to get up to add fuel once, but that is not a must have mod, it is more of a luxury.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Reactions: Retired Spook
Interesting that the OCs need tuning plates. I guess that is where I first got the idea since the mad scientist guy has/had an OC smoker. When I git my BellFab, I tried using tuning plates. It made things much monroe difficult. Sounds weird, I know, but I get even temps across my pit with no plates or baffles.

I wonder if it is actually needed here, but I defer to those who are using these pits. I almost bought a Brazos 2 years ago before this forum led me to BellFab.

Installed a gasket around the cook chamber door and 2 toggle clamps to seal it up nice when cooking.

Now, it is too hot to do anything else... :emoji_rage:

Reactions: millerbuilds
Woke up early and it was actually reasonable outside so I smoked a prime sirloin tri-tip.

I believe that adding the gasket around the cook chamber along with the toggle clamps helps the smoker draw better because it was noticeably easier to maintain consistent temperature for the 5-hour cook - it was finished at 1:00 PM so I was safe in the A/C thereafter.

The tri-tip came out tender and juicy but much milder beefy taste - like fake brisket. I would not smoke one again but I am going to try grilling one in the future. I am looking forward to smoking some home cured pastrami and bacon (the primary reason for buying this smoker) as soon as the weather cools off.

Great smoker!

Interesting that the OCs need tuning plates. I guess that is where I first got the idea since the mad scientist guy has/had an OC smoker. When I git my BellFab, I tried using tuning plates. It made things much monroe difficult. Sounds weird, I know, but I get even temps across my pit with no plates or baffles.

I wonder if it is actually needed here, but I defer to those who are using these pits. I almost bought a Brazos 2 years ago before this forum led me to BellFab.
Without the Tuning Plates, I had over a 30 degree difference in across the grate in the cooking chamber. The plates trimmed it down to +/- 5 degrees. I marked their placement so after rolling my pit back and forth I know exactly where the plates needed to be returned to.

Jason

Woke up early and it was actually reasonable outside so I smoked a prime sirloin tri-tip.

I believe that adding the gasket around the cook chamber along with the toggle clamps helps the smoker draw better because it was noticeably easier to maintain consistent temperature for the 5-hour cook - it was finished at 1:00 PM so I was safe in the A/C thereafter.

The tri-tip came out tender and juicy but much milder beefy taste - like fake brisket. I would not smoke one again but I am going to try grilling one in the future. I am looking forward to smoking some home cured pastrami and bacon (the primary reason for buying this smoker) as soon as the weather cools off.

Great smoker!
Great to hear it worked out!
I have not added toggle clamps, but do have a gasket on the doors/lids to my firebox and cooking chamber. I keep going back and forth on adding the toggle clamps....

Smoke ON!

- Jason

I would agree that the toggle clamps were probably unnecessary but that is what I get for not trying a smoke without them, first. The toggle clamps are probably necessary on thinner sheet-metal smokers.

I took out the factory baffle in mine, and had a friend weld a vertical sheet about 6”-8” away from the opening of the cook chamber. Now I use WAY less wood, maintain temps better, get better draw (firebox door for control), grate temps are way more even, and my meat doesn’t burn on the bottom anymore. The modification forces heat and air UP instead of underneath the cooking surface like I’ve experienced with tuning plates.

I took out the factory baffle in mine, and had a friend weld a vertical sheet about 6”-8” away from the opening of the cook chamber. Now I use WAY less wood, maintain temps better, get better draw (firebox door for control), grate temps are way more even, and my meat doesn’t burn on the bottom anymore. The modification forces heat and air UP instead of underneath the cooking surface like I’ve experienced with tuning plates.
Did you extend the stack also? I'm thinking about removing the baffle too. I've heard people say the same thing you are after they remove it.

My Wrangler:
Wrangler.jpg

And here are some ribs just put on 30-minutes ago:
Ribs.jpg

Reactions: ConrodM
Did you extend the stack also? I'm thinking about removing the baffle too. I've heard people say the same thing you are after they remove it.
I did! But then realized I didn’t need the extra draw once the baffle was removed. Trust me, it draws PLENTY haha. The Wrangler isn’t as big as the Pecos so we have to be careful about how much air we try to suck through that thing. I was getting pretty crazy temp differences with my extension.

Without the Tuning Plates, I had over a 30 degree difference in across the grate in the cooking chamber. The plates trimmed it down to +/- 5 degrees. I marked their placement so after rolling my pit back and forth I know exactly where the plates needed to be returned to.

Jason
This will probably be an unpopular opinion then, but, if that is the case, then these pits must not be as good as advertised. My BellFab does NOT need tuning plates and I am +/- 10°-15° throughout an 8+ hour cook.

When I WAS using tuning plates, I had the major temp differences across the pit. I suppose good draw and convection causes even temps across a pit, not tuning plates.

Reactions: ConrodM
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky