Old Country Wrangler- Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I thought I would start a thread for Wrangler owners.  

I have had mine for just over a year.  I thought one thread to exchange information and mods on the Wrangler would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

Just got my old country wrangler it was used. 6 mo old so it was already seasoned. I think it is a great idea to set up a thread for wrangler owners. .

I smoked my first butt today. 250 for three hours. I took it off wrapped it in aluminum foil with butter, brown sugar, and honey. I left on the smoker two and half hours and got to an internal temperature of 160. It came out pretty good if I do say so myself.

Wow that is pretty quick!

Glad to hear it turned out good.

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Just got mine delivered last week. Able to season it and smoke a butterflied Chicken this weekend.  Was happy at the heat retention.  I'll be doing some sealing where needed and have made a few mods already.  I'll post up some shots.

- Don

Just got mine delivered last week. Able to season it and smoke a butterflied Chicken this weekend.  Was happy at the heat retention.  I'll be doing some sealing where needed and have made a few mods already.  I'll post up some shots.

- Don
Don-

There is a Thread on here about the MODS you can do, some of them are for the Pecos, they are very similar.

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Thanks Jason. I'll have a look man.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  

The 3 most important mods to make (IMHO) is:

1- Seal the smoker and fire box with felt and food safe RTV

2- Either make or have some tuning plates cut to eliminate the Hot spot by the end near the fire box

3- Ensure (requires a spring, bolt, and grinding) that the air inlet on the fire box seals up

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Bought an old country glow in the dark thermostat, but I am having trouble threading it on to the smoker. Has anyone else run into this problem of threading thermostat into the lid and if so what's the remedy?

Bought an old country glow in the dark thermostat, but I am having trouble threading it on to the smoker. Has anyone else run into this problem of threading thermostat into the lid and if so what's the remedy?
You talking about in the center where the bolt is?  I looked at that and it looks like they welded a bit in there so I wasn't going to even try that one.  I haven't taken it out to see if there are threads.  I'm going to put an emblem or something in that spot and drill a few holes on the bottom right and left at grate level and place some therms there.  The top middle hole is too high to get accurate temps anyways - imo

- Don

Just finished my charcoal basket for my old country wrangler. It fits like a sock on a rooster. It's like it was made for that fire box. By the way guys there is a special on kingsford charcoal at lowes and home depot. Twin pack of 18 lbs for 9.88. I grabbed a few bags. They were flying off shelves at our location. Happy smoking for the 4th guys.

I just got one about a month ago. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to keep the temperature in range? I have to babysit the damper to keep the grill in range. I can't even go pee without worrying about a 20 degree spike.

I just got one about a month ago. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to keep the temperature in range? I have to babysit the damper to keep the grill in range. I can't even go pee without worrying about a 20 degree spike.
Do you have it sealed up so that the smoke is not leaking out in air leaking in? How are you reading your temps?

I have made the following modifications to fix the temp control issues;

-Sealed everything up including the door

-Ground the vent flat and replaced the welded bolt and nut with a bolt with a spring and wing nut

-Pulled out the fire box grate and replaced it with a charcoal basket, I have the basket offset to be tight to the inlet door.

Thanks for the reply millerbuilds!

I have a little smoke coming out of the top. I'm checking the temp with an iGrill pro.

I thought about a bolt with a spring. You're saying that the bolt is welded on?

Last edited:
The nut on mine was welded on.  I ground it off and replaced with a bolt, 3 washers, spring, and wing nut.

Smoke ON!

-Jason 

Academy's website lists the specs on this smoker as being made from 11 ga steel (~1/8") with 3/16" doors.  Is this true??  I have read from others that it is 3/16" steel throughout.

Thanks,

Kevin 

Just finished my charcoal basket for my old country wrangler. It fits like a sock on a rooster. It's like it was made for that fire box. By the way guys there is a special on kingsford charcoal at lowes and home depot. Twin pack of 18 lbs for 9.88. I grabbed a few bags. They were flying off shelves at our location. Happy smoking for the 4th guys.

Magnum can you post some pics and dimensions? I just found a welder neighbor friend guyer that may be able to help me out with a build.

-Don

Reactions: 300magnum
Academy's website lists the specs on this smoker as being made from 11 ga steel (~1/8") with 3/16" doors.  Is this true??  I have read from others that it is 3/16" steel throughout.

Thanks,

Kevin 

I can check on mine when I get home. They may have made some changes like I've read on how the Pecos were made a while back. Not sure but I know mine is solid.

Looks to be. Doors are definatly thicker. There is a frame around the doors on the underside to make the seal but the thickness of the chamber is thinner than the doors. I wouldn't be concerned with it if you are. I used to have a chargriller duo for my starter and I have to tell you the heat retention on these is leaps and bounds above it. I have no problem holding Temps for a long time. I've had to keep adding every hour but it's more like 2 or 3 with this one. I use rocks bbq stoker also but my first cook was straight up and it performed very well. Hope that helps.

-Don

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky