Old Country Wrangler- Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had the wrangler and while I liked it, it wasn't big enough for me and I couldn't get the temps down as low as I wanted, even with tuning plates. I think you will be very happy with either, or both.

Beef Plate Short Ribs (NAMP 123A) on my Old Country Wrangler – Last weekend.  I've been smoking on the Wrangler for a couple of years now.  And, I love getting out there and smoking any kind of meat on it.  I used post oak.  Actually have three racks of wood that I use...one for hickory, one for red oak, and one for post oak. 

A lot of people complain about not being able to keep the temps down on the Wrangler.  And, I had that problem at first...but, I think just getting used to it, and getting it broke in helped it tremendously.  I can keep it between 225*-235* for 12-14 hours if I need to, for a pork butt.   

But, one thing I did learn from Aaron Franklin when smoking beef ribs or brisket at 250*-275* is I leave my firebox door open just about all the time, and always leave my smoke stack damper wide open.  I start off with a chimney of charcoal, and one split of wood.  Then, I just add another split about every hour or so.  It'll set right there between 250*-275* as long as it needs to.  Every once in a while, I'll need to add two splits if my temps start getting down below 240*...just to get it back up.  I've also learned that you don't have to mess with it all the time, and try to keep right on a certain temp.  If you can keep it within 25*-30* during your smoke, you're doing well.  But, I leave that firebox door open and the smoke stack damper open all the time to keep the airflow going through.  I've found if you try to close off the air flow too much, it will get hotter than just leaving it wide open.  And, if it gets too hot after adding a split, I just open the lid on the firebox for a bit to let it cool down some at the grate.  But, that doesn't happen very often.

I rubbed the ribs with Kosher salt and course black pepper, only.  Smoked with bones down for about 7 hours at 250*-275* smoker temp.  This is seriously some fantastic eating, and one of the easiest pieces of meat to smoke.  If you haven't tried smoking some beef short ribs yet, let me urge you to give it a shot...you'll be surprised at how easy they are to smoke, for such great taste.  I've tried different rubs in the past.  But, after talking to Wayne Mueller, from Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, TX, I've started using just salt and pepper...same for brisket.  That's what most of the great Texas barbecue places do, and really that is all beef needs.  But, Wayne said his rub is 1-part salt to 9-parts pepper...and even though I think his beef ribs are the best there is, I don't use quite that much pepper. 

The problem with beef ribs, even in Texas, is getting your hands on them.  The next ones I smoke, I'm going to try the Beef Chuck Short Ribs (NAMP 130).  Just to see the difference.  The plate ribs (NAMP 123A) are 3-bone racks and consist of ribs 6-8 in the plate area behind the brisket.  The chuck ribs (NAMP 130) are the 4-bone racks consisting of ribs 2-5 in the chuck area above the brisket.  Some Texas barbecue joints do the plate ribs, and some do the chuck ribs.  Wayne Mueller told me he did the chuck ribs for years, but changed about 5 years ago to the plate ribs.  He says you get more meat on the plate ribs.

The plate ribs I did below were about $9 a pound.  But, considering Texas barbecue joints charge anywhere from $18-$23 a pound to eat theirs, not too bad.  However, I have finally found a butcher that I can get the chuck ribs from.  He said he normally cuts them across the bone, flanken style, and has them for $5.98 a pound.  But, if I want un-cut racks, he could sell them to me for $4.98 a pound.  Now, we're talking, and I can't wait to try some.

This coming weekend, we're having some folks over for a barbecue, and I'm going to do 4 more racks of these plate ribs, along with some sausage.  Then, the next time, I'll be giving the chuck ribs a try.

1 hour in:

3 hours in:

5 hours in...starting to look good:

7 hours in, and finished:

Sliced and ready to eat:

I have to say, they were fantastic!  I only smoked the one rack, since it was just me and the wife.  We ate one rib each of the two bigger ones.  Then, I had the one with the fewest meat on it for breakfast the next morning.  It was absolutely amazing, even warmed up in the microwave.  As expensive as brisket has gotten lately, I think beef ribs are going to be my go-to meat for a while.  They are definitely worth the price...and the smoke time is about half what a brisket takes.  Win-Win!

Last edited:
Mick those look fantastic!!  
drool.gif
They have been on my list of things to try, but  I have been just too consumed with briskets.LOL   Diffidently  my next smoke if I can find some up here!  Thanks for explaining the difference between the two different ribs.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but could you tell me what the inside diameter of the exhaust pipe is on your Old Country  cooker?  I just got an OLK Joe's highlander a while back. Been having issues getting a clean fire even with the firebox box open. It  only has a 2 1/2  " ID exhaust pipe and I think It just doesn't  draft  well with such a small pipe. Been think of replacing it with a 3" or 4 " pipe is why I'm asking. Thanks, Mike

Also, I too have noticed Arron Franklin seems to run his cookers with the firebox doors wide open. And in his videos he always talks about "lots of air flow".
thumb1.gif

Last edited:
Brisket smoke this past weekend on my Old Country Wrangler.  When I smoke a brisket, I usually get up at 4:00 and have it on the smoker by 5:00, because you just never know how long a brisket might take.  According to "the stall" and your smoking temp it could be anywhere from 6 to 12, even 14 hours.  And, even though I learned a long time ago to smoke brisket at about 275*, instead of lower temps, you still never know.  And, as with the beef ribs above, I use Kosher salt and course ground black pepper for seasoning.

This is the fatty side, and will go up in the smoker.

And, the bottom:

Just put it on the smoker, about 5:00am:

Smoker temp holding at 275*.

After 2 hours, we have an internal temp of 148*.

After 5 hours, we have an internal temp of 175*...it went right on through the stall, and is looking great!  If it sits on 160* to 170* for an hour or so, I go ahead and take it off and wrap it, and maybe even crank up my smoker to 300*, just to get it through the stall.  But, sometimes, like this one, it will go right on through it.

So, I take it off, wrap it in foil or butcher paper and put it back on until it's done.  This time I used foil.  You can see I had a small water pan in there as well.

After 3 more hours, we're at 205* internal temp, and it "feels" good.  Very loose and pliable in the foil.  I keep it in the foil, and set the pan and all in an ice chest, to rest, until we're ready to eat.  You should always let a brisket "rest" for at least an hour or so, to release its juices.  I actually let this one rest in the ice chest for 4 hours.  And, when I took it out to cut, it was still so hot that I had to use my insulated food gloves to hold it.

Very tender, very juicy...perfect taste with the salt and pepper only.  It sliced like butter.

I always ask when carving, lean or fatty.  It seems all the women will say "lean", which I definitely don't mind.  They can have all the flat they want.  I always want the point...where all the marbled fat is located.  So, brisket, potatoes, and beans.  I don't know about the flat, but the point was so tender and juicy, it almost chewed itself.   

Reactions: Retired Spook

Was bold enough to try a new method on the Wrangker yesterday. I've only done about 6 cooks on the Wrangler so new makes me nervous!

Started with a 13 lb brisket. Marinated in Dr. pepper overnight. That's new!
Smokes at 250 without my wood/charcoal basket. That's new.t
Used only oak splits to cook. That new, usually mix lump and splits.
Wrapped at 165 with butcher paper rather than foil. That's new.

Fire was easier to manage than I expected.
Got a nicer bark with paper.
The end product was great. Forgot to make a pic of the sliced meat but it was moist, tender and pulled apart just like Franklins!

Looks really good. Very nice bark. Thumbs Up

It sounds great when someone talks about good fire management with only splits. That's the way to enjoy playing with fire and will always give you a better bark. Keep it going, Joe

Thanks Joe. Going to continue working with splits! My old smoker was a char griller and the basket worked ok but the Wrangler seems much more efficient so I'm going old school! Going to try MickHLR's ribs Tuesday and will go stick only again.
See ya, Smoke On!

Last edited:
Toad, You had asked for pics of his tuning plates. If you don't have anything in your CC now, how close are your temps? If you think you need some heat distribution help, look at the Horizon-type Convection Plate. With the holes, it does a really good job of keeping the temps even.

Hi Joe. Here's how I fixed the problem. I took the wood tray out of the FB and put it almost all the way toward the exhaust end. Then spread the tuning plates I had made out and placed a water pan on top of the tray. After moving the plates around I got the temps cooler on the exhaust side and only about a 10 degree split from one end to the othe. I also installed a Tell True thermo on the lid and now I read within 10 degrees over the entire cook surface.

When I add wood/lump I notice it gets hotter on the exhaust end then evens out. What do you think? Thanks for the replays.

Smoke On!

Was bold enough to try a new method on the Wrangker yesterday. I've only done about 6 cooks on the Wrangler so new makes me nervous!

Started with a 13 lb brisket. Marinated in Dr. pepper overnight. That's new!
Smokes at 250 without my wood/charcoal basket. That's new.t
Used only oak splits to cook. That new, usually mix lump and splits.
Wrapped at 165 with butcher paper rather than foil. That's new.

Fire was easier to manage than I expected.
Got a nicer bark with paper.
The end product was great. Forgot to make a pic of the sliced meat but it was moist, tender and pulled apart just like Franklins!
That looks great Toad!  It is hard to beat a good brisket. 

How long did it take you to smoke it at 250*?  Did it stall, or go on through? 

Also, have fun with those beef ribs.  I think you'll be surprised how easy they are, for how great they turn out.

This is what I did last weekend, a rack of beef chuck ribs, a rack of beef plate ribs, and then spatchcocked turkey breast for the ladies who were watching their figures and didn't want to eat beef.  LOL! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky