• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Oklahome Joe - Beat up out of the box

smokeyjobe

Joined Aug 3, 2016
Hey all,

Been lurking for a few weeks and just got my Oklahoma Joe's Highland home.

The packaging the unit came in was pretty rough. While everything was factory packed but I've noticed a few external surfaces scratches on both boxes.

I had read a post here at one time that said it was essential to never let the external surface coating be scratched off.

Are light scratches (light in size, I can see metal where the coating should be) really a big deal?

Would prefer avoiding assembly and sealing to find out a week later the scratches are in fact going to be a problem.

Thanks everyone!

jarhead1979

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2015
Jobe,

I'm not sure...but I'm happy to bump your post up so somebody can give you a solid answer. I would assume that the only concern would be rust...in that case some high temp paint could square you away just fine. Plenty of folks here better suited to answer paint/structural questions than me, though. Good luck and welcome to SMF!

valleypoboy

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 2, 2015
There's loads of opinions on the matter. I personally subscribe to the idea that steel will eventually rust. Clean it up, scrub it down, de-rust it, repaint it. I read somewhere on here that oiling the outside helps too. The logic makes sense to me, similar to seasoning a cast iron pan.

smokeyjobe

Joined Aug 3, 2016
Appreciate the help guys, ill paint the outside, clean-up the inside, and re-season.

Thanks!

sauced

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 9, 2015
Yes, I would repaint it. That exposed metal will eventually rust.

cksteele

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 11, 2016
yup im constantly grinding and spraying my joe making sure it doesn't rust, keeping it in good shape the dremel  and the BBQ  paint spray can 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.