Oklahome Joe - Beat up out of the box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeyjobe

Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Hey all,

Been lurking for a few weeks and just got my Oklahoma Joe's Highland home.

The packaging the unit came in was pretty rough. While everything was factory packed but I've noticed a few external surfaces scratches on both boxes.

I had read a post here at one time that said it was essential to never let the external surface coating be scratched off.

Are light scratches (light in size, I can see metal where the coating should be) really a big deal?

Would prefer avoiding assembly and sealing to find out a week later the scratches are in fact going to be a problem.

Thanks everyone!

Jobe,

I'm not sure...but I'm happy to bump your post up so somebody can give you a solid answer. I would assume that the only concern would be rust...in that case some high temp paint could square you away just fine. Plenty of folks here better suited to answer paint/structural questions than me, though. Good luck and welcome to SMF!

There's loads of opinions on the matter. I personally subscribe to the idea that steel will eventually rust. Clean it up, scrub it down, de-rust it, repaint it. I read somewhere on here that oiling the outside helps too. The logic makes sense to me, similar to seasoning a cast iron pan.

Appreciate the help guys, ill paint the outside, clean-up the inside, and re-season.

Thanks!

yup im constantly grinding and spraying my joe making sure it doesn't rust, keeping it in good shape the dremel  and the BBQ  paint spray can 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky