Oklahoma Joe's "Grill"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vegasrc1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016

I refinished this little grill a few years ago and built the stand.  I know it's made by Oklahoma Joe's but I always thought they made smokers only. My Grandfather got it new and gave it to my Father.  Now I have it and would like info in it like the model/name. Has anyone seen this grill or have info? I really like this old grill, the thermometer still works great. Thanks 

It looks like a firebox for a smoker, with a stack where normally the smoke & heat would pass through to the cooking chamber.

Al

It looks like a firebox for a smoker, with a stack where normally the smoke & heat would pass through to the cooking chamber.

Al

That's what I thought but it is a Oklahoma Joe's grill. It has the Oklahoma emblem with a serial number as well as the original Oklahoma thermometer. Would you have any ideas to clean the emblem? I don't want to use a wire wheel because it will scrape it. What will bring the shine back without damaging the print? Can't get the upload image to work from my phone. I have a few more images to post. Will post the asap.

Last edited:
Any tips on cleaning the OK Joe's label? It could use a shine but I don't want to take the name a picture off. Thanks

It is pretty heavy and old. I would like an original OK Joe's smoker to go with the grill but my newer production will do for now. This little grill will last forever with a some care. Anyone else own one?

Last edited:
I picked one of these Lil Joe Grills up this year and called Horizon Smokers about it. He said they are grills made out of fireboxes. His guess was they made 500 of these units between 1990-1995. The earlier units had square legs (1990) and the older units had pipe legs. He said that Oklahoma Joes in KC off of 47th street has two of them in their restaurant and everyone wants to buy them. I will be keeping mine as I feel these smaller, heavy units hold heat very well. I might see if Horizon will build me a little base similar to the one on their Patriot Grill. Good find.

They had to warn ppl to bbq outside back then too.
Got hold of one of these too. The weld workmanship, U.S. steel and fact that this thing almost busted me a hernia (from lifting it)... earns my respect. Anyone that comes across more certain history about this grill - - please pass it forward.
Here's some reddit that might offer some timeline as to when this grill was conceived prior to ops sourced offshore:
History of Oklahoma Joe Smokers & how to spot an original made in Perry, OK (and how I found mine!) : smoking (reddit.com)

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 29
They had to warn ppl to bbq outside back then too.
Got hold of one of these too. The weld workmanship, U.S. steel and fact that this thing almost busted me a hernia (from lifting it)... earns my respect. Anyone that comes across more certain history about this grill - - please pass it forward.
Here's some reddit that might offer some timeline as to when this grill was conceived prior to ops sourced offshore:
History of Oklahoma Joe Smokers & how to spot an original made in Perry, OK (and how I found mine!) : smoking (reddit.com)
Great video w/ Joe Davidson of early early OJ's history:
Oklahoma Joe's. Starting smoker and factory tour. - YouTube

I just brought something similar home. It needs some love, but it should be a fun project.
0DA0F14D-1F15-4792-8E79-D986F5950336.jpeg

4FD28C45-20F6-4718-85C2-65897C1F1D29.jpeg

Mine is missing the grill. Anyone have the details of what it should be fabricated from?

I see fire boxes at lowes or HD that bolt on and would work well without having to make 1

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky