OK Joe Longhorn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ilmsmoker

Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Wilmington, NC
So not knowing the history of Oklahoma Joe other than knowing there was a time they "sold out" and became a Chinese "knock off" I'm trying to determine which category this one falls in to.  The only real discerning characteristic I can pick up on is that the fire box doesn't have the bolted seam in it that everyone seems to take apart and seal with RTV.  Does this mean this one was pre-sell out?  Any thoughts on this offset?

So not knowing the history of Oklahoma Joe other than knowing there was a time they "sold out" and became a Chinese "knock off" I'm trying to determine which category this one falls in to.  The only real discerning characteristic I can pick up on is that the fire box doesn't have the bolted seam in it that everyone seems to take apart and seal with RTV.  Does this mean this one was pre-sell out?  Any thoughts on this offset?

Take a look at the name plate--if "Oklahoma Joe" is contained completely within the state map, old school.  Looks like the real McCoy from here, but that's a better test.  Should look like this:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/120139/lightbox/post/796216/id/138088

Last edited:
Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for - a way to tell for sure.  Will go check tomorrow and see what that badge looks like!

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for - a way to tell for sure.  Will go check tomorrow and see what that badge looks like!

You're welcome. As long as it doesn't have any of the lettering outside the state borders, it's a goodie. Char Broil bought them in '98, and turned OKJ into a joke compared to its origin. Hope it's what I think it is--you'd be quite happy with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky