• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Minion Method in my Ok Joe Longhorn

pulling-pork

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 12, 2015
Hey I'm going to try the Minion Method in my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn offset reverse flow smoker. I tried it one other time & it was an epic fail. It burnt the paint off my fiebox because my temp was out of control. I need some advice. I want to use a whole bag of B & B charcoal with wood chunks layered throughout. I think I will use a couple wax starters & try to let the pit heat up gradually. I will wait until the smoke evens out & the pit is 225 before putting the prime rib roast on. I'm really nervous trying this again any advice you all can give is welcome.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
My advice.....if you tried it once and was an "epic fail". I wouldn't try it for the second time to smoke your Christmas prime rib. Just my two cents on that. If you have time over the next few days id instead spend time learning your smoker and dialing it in. Minion method is more suited for kettle cookers and the like. Try you out a bed of coals and lay some sticks or chunks over it. You want them to light on fire not smolder. You will have to add wood periodically. As previously said though. Try that out without meat on the smoker until you dial it in

Last edited:

pulling-pork

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 12, 2015
My advice.....if you tried it once and was an "epic fail". I wouldn't try it for the second time to smoke your Christmas prime rib. Just my two cents on that. If you have time over the next few days id instead spend time learning your smoker and dialing it in. Minion method is more suited for kettle cookers and the like. Try you out a bed of coals and lay some sticks or chunks over it. You want them to light on fire not smolder. You will have to add wood periodically. As previously said though. Try that out without meat on the smoker until you dial it in
Yeah you're probably right. I'll just go with what I know. I've done a lot of smokes the traditional way so it will be dialed in. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.