Oh Spattlecock Oh Spattlecock....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Yep that's right I'm gonna Spattlecock this bird for our Xmass eve bash! Have no fear it's not really a new technique, just another word for spatchcock.

Somehow I thought today was yesterday and so my bird is gonna be a day behind schedule. Going in the brine tonight. Pull in the morning and air dry until it goes in the smoker around 3. Also doing a pork loin, and our Family meat pies.

That's right cold smoking some eggs for some deviled eggs appetizers!

Case... I cut my eggs in half before going in the smoker... yoke gets some smoke that way.... dunno If you do or not so I thought I would mention it....

Case... I cut my eggs in half before going in the smoker... yoke gets some smoke that way.... dunno If you do or not so I thought I would mention it....

Dude you're living on the edge! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Tonight I didn't. Main reason is we have some guests coming that don't care for FLAVOR!!! I will be adding crumbled bacon to these though just to add something new to the mix!

The bird is Spatched, the bird is brined, the bones are boiling for stock! Eggs in the smoker, now the not so fun part if the evening, cleaning house, YUCK!

I know you are going to smoke and impress...... Cleaning, well those extra brownie points, always good to bank a few extra for the holidays.

So you gonna show the meat pies? We don't do a lot of them on the gulf coast, closest thing we get is chicken pot pie.

I know you are going to smoke and impress...... Cleaning, well those extra brownie points, always good to bank a few extra for the holidays.

So you gonna show the meat pies? We don't do a lot of them on the gulf coast, closest thing we get is chicken pot pie.

Yes I will show the meat pies. These won't be smoked and my mom is bringing them! So the photos will have to wait. I will post the recipe too. So good!!!

For some reason I just knew they were going to be "So Good!!!" and now knowing Mom is making 'em, no doubt over the top! Looking forward to 'em.

These meat pies are a family tradition dating back " to the old world" as the story goes. I stopped by my moms house today and she was grinding the meat! Has to be fresh!

So since I was a day behind schedule on the turkey. I wont be able to do the air dry that I normally do, so I just saw this crazy idea:

That's right! Blow dry with a hair dryer right before going on the smoker! More on this later when its time to try!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! I think I'm the only woman on earth who doesn't blow dry her hair; but your photo and idea is priceless! ERGO: Maybe I need to procure a blow dryer! Love it!!! Cheers! - Leah

Dude you're living on the edge! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Tonight I didn't. Main reason is we have some guests coming that don't care for FLAVOR!!! I will be adding crumbled bacon to these though just to add something new to the mix!
I have in-laws that don't love flavor also, father in-law thinks pepper is spicy so he don't use it.  he asked my wife what makes her mashed potatoes so good and she responded "Try using salt and pepper".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky