OFG Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know this is a simple excel file, but just in case it helps someone. I made a spice calculator for this recipe. one page has 3-10 lbs at the read and the other you can enter you lbs and get the values. same calc two ways. Enjoy
Way cool! Thanks!

• 15 ml kosher salt
  • 10 ml garlic powder
  • 10 ml onion powder
  • 10 ml ground dried chipotle
  • 5 ml coarse pepper
  • 10 ml sugar
  • 5 ml ground coriander
  • 3 grams (2.2 ml) Prague powder #1
Asking a clarifier:

Do you mean mg instead of ml? mg is usually used with weight and ml usually refers to volume? Or are you using metric measuring spoons? The 3gram/2.2ml PP#1 makes me think the latter.

Asking a clarifier:

Do you mean mg instead of ml? mg is usually used with weight and ml usually refers to volume? Or are you using metric measuring spoons? The 3gram/2.2ml PP#1 makes me think the latter.
No, ml means mililitres, a metric volume measure. 5 ml is the equivalent of a teaspoon. 15 ml is the equilavent of a tablespoon.

Disco,
I have to ask have you ever made this with ground venison? Since it is ground could I mix all of the ingredients together and mix in with the ground venison?

Disco,
I have to ask have you ever made this with ground venison? Since it is ground could I mix all of the ingredients together and mix in with the ground venison?
I have not made it with ground meat. I suspect you would need to cut back a bit (about 10 %) on the seasonings as you will get total penetration of the seasonings. Also, you will definitely have to cut back about 10 % on the Prague Powder #1. The USDA and Health Canada let you use up to 200 ppm nitrites if you are surface dry curing or brine curing ham or bacon (3 grams per kilogram is pretty close to 200 ppm). This is because you don't get total penetration. However, if you are making sausage (which would be the equivalent of using ground meat) they only allow 156 ppm so you would need to reduce the Prague Powder by about 20 to 25%.

If it were me, I would try it with a small 1 kilogram (2 pounds) batch so you can adjust the amounts to your tastes for future recipes.

Reactions: Againes85
Going to give this recipe a go with 2 1/2# venison backstrap.

The one thing that confuses me about these metric measures is
Easy peasy.
1 teaspoon is 5 ml
1 tablespoon is 15 ml
1/4 cup is 50 ml
1/3 cup is 75 ml
1/2 cup is 125 ml
1 cup is 250 ml

If the 1/4 cup is 50ml, why isn't 1/2 cup 100 ml ?
The 1/2 cup 125 ml, is doubled to equal the 1 cup 250 ml,
:emoji_thinking:

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Going to give this recipe a go with 2 1/2# venison backstrap.

The one thing that confuses me about these metric measures is

If the 1/4 cup is 50ml, why isn't 1/2 cup 100 ml ?
The 1/2 cup 125 ml, is doubled to equal the 1 cup 250 ml,
:emoji_thinking:
1/4 cup is actually 59 ml. 1/2 cup is actually 118 ml. The 50 m and 125 ml are just rounding to a nearest round number. If I said 50 ml is 0.21 cups, you'd think I was nuts so it is rounded to 1/4 cup.

The conversions are close but not exact.

The small differences are not critical to the recipe except in the Prague powder #1 where I recommend you use weight measures.

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
Thanks Disco, I did use actual weight measurements for the cure #1. Got it fermenting as we speak, will mix it up a couple times. May have to wait another day, well below zero again tonight. My little MES 40 doesn't like those temps and I haven't used the new Stampede enough yet to know the sweet spots.

Just pulled the jerky out after cooling. All I can say Disco is •WOW•
That is absolutely fantastic jerky. It does have a bit of heat to it, but I love it !
I should have stuck to your 2 hr Mark ( went 2 1/2 ) as it felt a bit moist yet. My lower rack got dried out a little more than I prefer, but is still good.
Will definitely do again and again. . . Thank you !
20191219_080106.jpg
20191219_111941.jpg

Just pulled the jerky out after cooling. All I can say Disco is •WOW•
That is absolutely fantastic jerky. It does have a bit of heat to it, but I love it !
I should have stuck to your 2 hr Mark ( went 2 1/2 ) as it felt a bit moist yet. My lower rack got dried out a little more than I prefer, but is still good.
Will definitely do again and again. . . Thank you !View attachment 424486View attachment 424485
You are very kind! Thanks for the kind words!

BurntWeenie BurntWeenie the excel i made is at the bottom of page two of this thread.

all you need to do is enter the pounds of beef and it calculates all the rest.

Reactions: Trigger01
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky