Offset smoker tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It will probably help folks help you to know what kind of smoker you picked up. Since you said free, if assume Cheap Offset (COS), but maybe that's wrong.

The whole thing with an offset is fire management. I cook with the firebox door and the exhaust damper wide open, letting the smoker set the pace. On windy days I do close the FB door a bit to keep ash from blowing into the CC. Build a good hot fire on a grate about 2-4" above the bottom of the FB, place a water pan in the CC on the grate above the opening from the fire box, open a beer and be ready every 20 to 30 minutes to tend the fire. I use 2 Thermoworks Smoke X ambient probes, one on each end of the CC. When they start to fall towards 250, throw in a pre-heated split, scrape the ash out from under the grate, replace the wood on top of the firebox to pre-heat, sit back, rinse and repeat. I try to keep the temps in the CC between 265 & 275. This works for me, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marknmd
Late on this one but my number one tip for brisket and first cook ever in an offset is DON’T. I’d start with pork butt and chicken, things that are for I find while you learn controlling temps on your smoker.

Reactions: Marknmd
Late on this one but my number one tip for brisket and first cook ever in an offset is DON’T. I’d start with pork butt and chicken, things that are for I find while you learn controlling temps on your smoker.
How many of us had to learn that lesson the hard, and expensive way?

Reactions: jcam222
The whole thing with an offset is fire management. I cook with the firebox door and the exhaust damper wide open, letting the smoker set the pace. On windy days I do close the FB door a bit to keep ash from blowing into the CC. Build a good hot fire on a grate about 2-4" above the bottom of the FB, place a water pan in the CC on the grate above the opening from the fire box, open a beer and be ready every 20 to 30 minutes to tend the fire. I use 2 Thermoworks Smoke X ambient probes, one on each end of the CC. When they start to fall towards 250, throw in a pre-heated split, scrape the ash out from under the grate, replace the wood on top of the firebox to pre-heat, sit back, rinse and repeat. I try to keep the temps in the CC between 265 & 275. This works for me, your mileage may vary.
This describes almost exactly how I cook with my offset. Except I'm a yankee. :-D

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky