Offal again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Waiting to see if it will make the gizzards tender

Liver in Pate. Gizzards, simmered then Breaded and Fried and my fav, Hearts Sauteed with Garlic and FreshThyme , with a hint of pink in the center!...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
Man i bet those will be great grilled with bbq! Ive never had them like that only fried.

I've done chicken offal ala sous vide several times and settled on 165 at 18 to 20 hrs as the magic time/temp. No need to even cut the white out of the gizzards they are tender. Hearts and livers are creamy smooth in texture and gizzards are like fillet mignon.

Chile, I prefer the hearts (little nuggets from the Gods) but don't discount the gizzards. Done right they are better than high end steak.
I've had good and bad gizzards, more bad or mediocre than good.
I just generally pass on them anymore.
But I'd probably have to try them prepared sous vide as you do.

Chicken (and all poultry) liver is my kryptonite.
Hearts and gizzards is good when braised out until tender.
Never tried sous vide. May have to break down and get a unit.

My all time favorite turkey gizzard is pickled. Got a lot of them around when you live in one of the top turkey producer states in the country.
Best washed down with barley pop of your choosing. Haven't found a cocktail to pair and not a wine drinker.

Wish I had access to a truckload of turkey gizzards... I throw the offal in the oven/smoker when doing turkey.. they are the cooks snack.... along with the Pope's nose and neck...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Wish I had access to a truckload of turkey gizzards... I throw the offal in the oven/smoker when doing turkey.. they are the cooks snack.... along with the Pope's nose and neck...

That's funny. My Mom would eat the Neck until I walked in the kitchen and asked what she was doing. One bite and I was hooked. 50 years later, I'm still knowing at necks and a crispy brown, fatty Pope's Nose is pure Heaven...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
Nice! What is the rest of the family getting to eat?...JJ

Now that is a nice plate of food. I'd be going back for more Greens! They look great...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky